[eDebate] 40th Annual West Point Debate Tournament

Skimmyhorn, W. MAJ SOCSCI William.Skimmyhorn
Sun Aug 19 12:53:03 CDT 2007

40th Annual West Point Debate Tournament

I am pleased to invite you to the 40th annual West Point Debate
Tournament to be held from 19 to 21 October 2007 at your United States
Military Academy. This year's tournament will feature six preliminary
rounds of competition, two on Friday, four on Saturday, and elimination
rounds on Sunday.  We will offer competition in three divisions of
debate: open, junior varsity and novice divisions. Tournament entries
must be received by October 17, 2007. Entries after this date are
subject to denial based on room availability. By tradition we will host
the awards brunch on Sunday morning at the West Point Club overlooking
the Hudson River.  Entry fees will cover continental breakfast and lunch
on Saturday, brunch on Sunday, and snacks throughout the tournament.

We are offering limited MPJ this year for the first time.  We will have
a basic A/B/C system in effect for all divisions and limited strikes
available in Open and JV.  I am interested in hearing your thoughts on
this change.  As always, our final round judges will be preselected
academic and policy experts in the topic area. We will have the panel's
biographical information available at registration and will post it to
eDebate as soon as the judges are confirmed.

Our tournament fees are $90 per team and we charge a meal fee of $25 for
judges (to cover breakfast, lunch, brunch and snacks). If you manage a
program with a limited budget, please contact us about a fee reduction;
we will do our best to help you compete.

Our tournament is CEDA sanctioned and will comply with the underlying
principles of CEDA's Statement on Sexual Harassment and Discrimination
and the Statement of Ethical Principles.

If you have any questions, please contact me at (845) 938-2748 (office),
or by e-mail at  <mailto:william.skimmyhorn at usma.edu>
william.skimmyhorn at usma.edu . On the day of the tournament you should
contact the Tab Room at (845) 938-7503 as cell phones do not work in our
academic facility. I look forward to seeing you for a beautiful fall
weekend at West Point.

Respectfully,

William Skimmyhorn

Major, U.S. Army

Tournament Director

40th Annual West Point Debate Tournament
October 19 - October 21, 2007
United States Military Academy at West Point, NY

* Entry and Deadlines: Tournament entries, including all contestant and
judge conflicts should be made through www.debateresults.com. Please
enter the tournament by October 17, 2007. Be sure to phone or e-mail
late entries or any last minute changes. After registering, judging
preferences and strikes should be complete no later than midnight
Thursday.

* Resolution: The tournament will be debating the 2007-08 CEDA
resolution, which is:

Resolved: that the United States Federal Government should increase its
constructive engagement with the government of one or more of:
Afghanistan, Iran, Lebanon, the Palestinian Authority, and Syria, and it
should include offering them a security guarantee(s) and/or a
substantial increase in foreign assistance.

* Format: Three divisions of debate will be offered: novice, junior
varsity, and varsity.

* Time limits for speeches are 9-3-6 with 10 minutes of preparation
time.

* There will be six preliminary rounds. Rounds one and two will be
pre-set. Rounds three through six will be power matched.

* We will offer limited MPJ in all three divisions.  Judges will be
assigned based on an A/B/C system in all divisions and limited strikes
will be available in Open and JV.  These rankings and strikes may not
take effect for rounds 1 and 2 if they are not submitted before Friday,
October 19th at www.debateresults.com.  Our final round panel in Open
will not be determined by MPJ.  The final round will be judged by a
distinguished panel of academic and policy experts in the topic area.

* An appropriate number of elimination rounds will be offered in
accordance with applicable rules and based on the size of the
tournament.

* Entries: Enter as many teams as you like in each of the three
divisions. If entries exceed room availability, latecomers may be
restricted.

* Eligibility for participation in the division is governed by the CEDA
rules.

* Awards: Awards will be awarded for the top sixteen teams in each
division and for the top ten speakers in each division. The first place
varsity team will also take home the USMA Traveling Trophy (a mounted
Cadet Saber) for one year.

* Fees: Entry fees are $90 per team, $25 per coach, judge and/or
observer. Make checks payable to Directorate of Cadet Activities. Fees
include trophies, food, and the awards brunch on Sunday for all team
participants, coaches, and judges.

* Judging: One judge is required for every two teams entered and must be
entered on the Bruschke site with their conflicts and any division
qualifications. Uncovered teams will be charged an additional $100
judging fee. Judging obligations extend through the octa-final round or
one round beyond that in which your team is eliminated. IF YOU ARE HIRED
BY A TEAM STILL IN THE TOURNAMENT, YOU ARE STILL OBLIGATED unless the
team has made other arrangements. All judges must render a
decision no later than two hours after the scheduled start of the round.
If 2 hours and 15 minutes have elapsed we will flip a coin to determine
the next round's pairing.

* Hotel information: Note -- West Point is "geographically challenged."
Many of the best hotels are in the Newburgh area, approximately 30
minutes from the tournament. If you would prefer a closer hotel, we
recommend that you book early because many hotels are already sold out.

1) Clarion Hotel

(845) 564-9020
Newburgh, NY. Approximately 30 minute from USMA.
Group Rate $95-115 depending on occupancy, Breakfast Included
"West Point Debate Tournament" 80 rooms reserved

2) Comfort Inn Newburgh

(845) 567-0567
Newburgh, NY. Approximately 35 minutes from USMA.
Approximate Rate: $90 a night, Continental Breakfast Included

3) Hampton Inn

(845) 567-9100
Newburgh, NY. Approximately 40 minutes from USMA.
Approximate Rate: $135

4) U S Academy Motel
(845) 446-2021
Highland Falls, NY. Approximately 1 mile from USMA.
Limited availability

5) West Point Motel
(845) 446-4180
Highland Falls, NY. Approximately 1 mile from USMA.
Limited availability

6) Palisade Motel
(845) 446-9400
Highland Falls, NY. Approximately 1 mile from USMA
Limited availability

7) Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites

(845) 446-4277

Fort Montgomery, NY. Approximately 4 miles from USMA.

Limited Availability

* Directions: To West Point: West Point is in the Hudson Valley
approximately one hour north of NYC. Access via the NY Thruway (84) to
9W South, exit at 218 and follow signs to West Point or, the New Jersey
Turnpike (I-95) to the Palisades Parkway to Bear Mountain Bridge then
follow the signs to West Point.

* We recommend that you enter USMA through Thayer Gate (in Highland
Falls). You can also enter from Stony Lonesome gate (along 9W).

* Tournament Registration: Registration will be held in Thayer Hall
Rotunda Friday afternoon from 1:00 pm to 4:00 p.m. Off-load evidence and
debaters on Thayer Roof at the southern staircase (we'll have a few
spots reserved for unloading). Parking will be in Clinton Field Lot
(near the baseball field and tennis courts). Be advised that classes
will be in session (until 1600) during registration; we ask all teams to
please be quiet in the halls.

* Transportation: The closest airport is Stewart International Airport
in Newburgh New York. Other airports in the region include Newark (1.5
hours), LaGuardia and JFK (1.5 - 2 hours depending on traffic). Consult
your travel agent and MapQuest for driving directions. The closest train
is Garrison (approx. 11 miles; directly across the Hudson River).

*Several post security measures are in effect. Please ensure that
everyone over the age of 16 carries a photo ID with them at all times.
Vans, buses and cars are subject to a routine search at the gate (plan
on an extra 15 minutes). We recommend that you enter post from
Thayer Gate (in Highland Falls).

* TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
** We're using military time to indicate that we will start rounds
promptly.

Friday, 19 October

(Off-load debaters and evidence on Thayer Hall Roof, southern staircase)
1:00 - 3:00                   Team Registration
Thayer Rotunda
5:00 - 7:00                   Round 1
Thayer Hall
7:00 - 9:00                   Round 2
Thayer Hall

Saturday, 20 October

7:00 - 8:00                   Continental Breakfast
Thayer Rotunda
8:00 - 10:00                 Round 3
Thayer Hall
10:00 - 12:00               Round 4
Thayer Hall
12:00 - 1:15                 Lunch
Thayer Hall
12:15                           Coaches' Meeting
TBA

1:15 - 3:15                   Round 5
Thayer Hall
4:00 - 6:00                   Round 6
Thayer Hall

6:30 - 8:30                   Partial Double Octafinals (if req'd)
Thayer Hall

Sunday, 21 October

7:00 - 8:00                   Coffee and Juice
Thayer Rotunda
8:00 - 10:00                 Octafinals
Thayer Hall
10:30 - 12:00               Brunch and Awards
West Point Club
12:30 - 2:30                 Quarterfinals
Thayer Hall
3:00 - 5:00                   Semifinals
Thayer Hall
6:00 - UTC                  Final Round
Thayer Hall

Contact Bill Skimmyhorn with any questions you may have.  Contact
information below.

Respectfully,

William L. Skimmyhorn
Major, U.S. Cavalry