[eDebate] Colorado College Invitation: October 26-28

matt stannard stannardmatt
Tue Aug 28 13:27:50 CDT 2007

Here is the Colorado College invitation.  In past years, despite the "8-3-5" format listed in the invitation, the tournament has gone along with 9-3-6 times.  I'm sure this year will be no exception.

You may direct specific NDT/CEDA questions about the tournament to me in my capacity as D9 Chair.  You may direct other tournament-related questions to Scott Weaver, the new director at CC.

Matt Stannard
University of Wyoming

63rd AnnualJames (Al) Johnson Forensics InvitationalColorado CollegeOctober 26-28, 2007Dear Colleague:Colorado College cordially invites you to attend the James (Al) Johnson Forensic Invitational to take place at the CC campus October 26-28, 2007.Open and Inexperienced divisions of NPDA debate, an Open division of eleven individual events, NFA Lincoln Douglas debate and NDT - CEDA Debate will be offered. In NPDA Debate, we continue to offer central topic announcements and will provide warm room disclosure of decisions. We are also providing wellness amenities, including lunch for all participants on Saturday, a humane tournament schedule, and opportunities for breaks and provided food throughout the competition, as well as the same fees we have offered for many years.The attached invitation contains complete information about the tournament. If there is a question you don't find answered, or you need additional information in order to attend our competition, please do not hesitate to contact me. I expect this year's tournament to draw outstanding competition that will be complemented by an excellent tab room staff. I hope that you will join us in the shadow of beautiful Pikes Peak for a superb fall tournament.With warm personal regards,Scott WeaverTournament Directorscott.weaver at coloradocollege.edu(719) 389-6339

63rd AnnualJames (Al) Johnson Forensics InvitationalColorado CollegeTournament HotelThe Academy Hotel8110 North Academy BlvdColorado Springs Colorado 80906Rate: $59.00 per night for 1-4 peopleThere is no cut off date, but schools should make reservations right away. The hotel will honor the rate as long as they have rooms available. Call the hotel direct at the following number. (719) 598-5770Mention that you are with the Colorado College Forensics Tournament to receive these rates.If you are interested in sales tax exemption, discuss with the hotel directly.EventsOpen and Inexperienced Divisions of NPDA Parliamentary Debate, Open Division in two conflict patterns of After Dinner Speaking, Communication Analysis, Dramatic Duo, Dramatic Interpretation, Extemporaneous Speaking, Impromptu Speaking, Informative Speaking, Persuasive Speaking, Poetry Interpretation, Program Oral Interpretation, and Prose Interpretation, and Open NDT - CEDA Debate will be offered. NFA Lincoln-Douglas Debate will be offered if there are sufficient entries.EntriesAny regularly enrolled undergraduate in a two year or four year college is eligible to participate. Eligibility standards for AFA and NPDA nationals will be enforced. A contestant may enter up to three individual events per conflict pattern as well as NPDA Debate. Students who enter Lincoln Douglas Debate may enter a maximum of one other individual event in conflict pattern B and three events in conflict pattern A as well as NPDA debate. Contestants NDT - CEDA Debate may not cross enter in individual events, or L-D Debate. Students in NDT-CEDA debate may not enter NPDA style parliamentary debate. EMAIL IS THE PREFERRED METHOD OF REGISTRATION. Please E-Mail your entries to Scott Weaver at scott.weaver at coloradocollege.edu so that it arrives no later than TUESDAY OCTOBER 23rd, by 5:00 p.m. MDT. If you need to fax or phone in your entry, please contact us beforehand and verify that your entry will be received.Parliamentary Debate (NPDA)An Open and Inexperienced division of Parliamentary Debate will be offered. Any eligible student may enter Open division. The Inexperienced division is reserved only for those relatively new to the activity, and not those who have debated regularly (those who the coach would consider in their first year of collegiate debate). NPDA sweepstakes points will be given to the top teams from a school regardless of division. Six preliminary rounds of NPDA will be followed by an appropriate number of elimination rounds as indicated by the NPDA by-laws.We will administer the NPDA debate competition in accordance with procedures at the NPDA national tournament. The topic for each NPDA round will be announced at the time of the scheduled start of the round. Teams should be in their scheduled room and ready to compete exactly fifteen minutes after the topic has been announced. We will determine the appropriate amount of walking time to add onto the preparation time before round one so we can adjust it for weather conditions and tournament size. Teams who are not ready to debate at the end of the allotted prep time will be subject to forfeiture. The time limit is 7 minutes, all other constructive speeches will have 8 minutes, opposition rebuttal will have 4 minutes, and government rebuttal 5 minutes. Decision disclosure at the end of the round is at the discretion of the judge, however, we request oral critiques be abbreviated until such time as the ballot is returned to the judge's table. We will be offering a warm room where we will post results of each debate round as they become available from the tab room. We typically offer judge strikes, and will adjust the number of strikes to be appropriate for the judging pool and entry size. If you require more information about strikes, please contact Scott Weaver.NDT - CEDA Debate (NDT - CEDA)An open division of NDT - CEDA debate will be offered on the current topic. Any eligible student may enter. Please note that students entered in NDT - CEDA debate will not be able to cross enter into any other form of debate or individual events. The time limits for this event will be 8-3-5-8 prep. Participation in the tournament constitutes adherence to the CEDA policies concerning sexual harassment and competitor practices.Elimination RoundsAt the end of the preliminary rounds, the top teams in all divisions of debate will proceed to elimination rounds. Teams advance first on their win/loss record, next on adjusted speaker points, and finally on judge variance. Pairings in the elimination rounds will be on the basis of strength versus weakness. BRACKETS WILL NOT BE BROKEN in elimination rounds, and two teams from the same school will be scheduled to meet if the bracket dictates.Lincoln- Douglas DebateThe topic to be used at the Colorado College tournament is the current year's NFA Lincoln Douglas Debate topic. Four preliminary rounds in open division will be followed by an appropriate number of elimination rounds. Advancement will be first on a win/loss record, then by adjusted speaker points, and finally by quality of competition. Entries and judging requirements will be the same as for individual events. BRACKETS WILL NOT BE BROKEN IN THE ELIMINATION ROUNDS. Time limits are 1AC -6 minutes, CX -3min, 1NC -7 min., CX -3 min, 1AR -6 min, NR -6 min, and 2AR -3 min. Each Speaker will have 4 minutes preparation time.Individual Events -GeneralThe individual events offered are subject to the rules of the AFA National Individual Events Tournament except where they conflict with the following:* Complete event descriptions are available on request.* Two conflict patterns A & B will be offered in open division.* Semi-finals where entries warrant and finals will follow two preliminary rounds with the top twelve being advanced semifinals and the top six to finals.* If fewer than 25 students enter a division of an event, that event will go directly to finals.* In the occurrence of a very small number of participants in an event, that event may go to three rounds and no finals.* Please watch for announcements concerning when finals for various events will take place as these will be adapted by the IE tab room for judge and room availability during the time allotted in the schedule for semifinals and finals.* No speaker will be ranked lower than 4th in the preliminary rounds, but speakers will be ranked 1st through last in elimination rounds.* BRACKETS WILL NOT BE BROKEN IN THE SEMI-FINAL ROUNDS.CONFLICT PATTERN - EVENTS: ADS, CA, DI, EXT, INF, POICONFLICT PATTERN - EVENTS: L-D DEBATE, DUO, IMP, PER, POE, PROIndividual Events: Top Junior AwardIn addition to open individual events, we will award the top junior competitor in each event an award. Ties will be broken by:1.) Advancement and place in elimination rounds2.) Total cumulative ranks3.) Total cumulative points.A junior participant is defined as someone in his or her first year of intercollegiate forensic competition. Please indicate on your entry, which students qualify to receive the junior award.AwardsAwards will be given for finalists and higher in individual events, octofinalists and higher in NPDA debate, semifinalists and higher in L-D debate, and NDT - CEDA Debate. Additional debate awards in NDT - CEDA and NPDA may be awarded if entries are sufficient. Ten speakers will be awarded in each division of debate. Top junior competitors in individual events will also receive an award. General, Individual Events, and NPDA sweepstakes awards will be given, as well as the same awards for community colleges, although community colleges are eligible for all sweepstakes awards. A special award will be given to the top DSR-TKA school. We will also continue to award the Bob Becker Super Cool Judge Award to an outstanding member of the critic pool.Points are determined in individual events by 1st Place -20 points, 2nd Place -10 points, 3rd Place -5 points, all other finalists -2 points, and semifinalists failing to advance -1 point. Five points will be awarded for each preliminary round in NPDA, and NDT - CEDA Debate and two points for each preliminary win in L-D Debate.Ties will be broken by the most number of first places in individual events, secondly by the school qualifying the most number of persons to elimination rounds of IE's and Debate, and finally by the flip of the coin. The top five teams in each division of debate and the top five persons in each individual event will count toward sweepstakes, although the director need not designate in advance who will qualify.FeesFees are: $60 for each debate team; $10 for each individual event; and $10 for each L-D competitor. Schools cannot be guaranteed that they will be able to enter students in excess of the judges they provide, but to the extent that judges can be hired, a fee of $150 will be will be charged for each uncovered debate team, $10 will be charged for each uncovered event in individual events, and $10 will be charged for each uncovered L-D entrant. One judge covers 2 debate Teams and 6 IE Entries. NDT - CEDA debate judges cannot cover entries in any other event. Please note that IE judging commitments are determined as a whole and not per conflict pattern.Fees will be assessed as of Noon, Wednesday, October 24, and schools will be expected to pay fees as indicated by their entry at that time regardless of subsequent deletions.Judging ObligationsJudges should expect to judge at least up to their commitment in debate and may be asked to judge one round beyond their commitment in order to ensure the best possible critics. All judges are expected to be available for the first elimination round of debate and one round beyond that in which their team is eliminated. Judges in individual events should expect to judge in both conflict patterns even if they have students entered in only one conflict pattern.Fee Reduction DiscountsThe tournament director would like to do everything within his power to make it possible for your team to attend our competition. If financial reasons preclude your participation, we can work on issues surrounding fees. If your team can provide judges in excess of your commitment, we WOULD REALLY LIKE to hire them for additional rounds to give a discount to the registration fees of the team. Consult Scott Weaver if you are interested in this option.Tournament FacilitationThe tournament director reserves the right to make any decisions necessary to facilitate the timely and accurate completion of the tournament.A Note on FacilitiesIn recent years we have had difficulty with our tournament guests leaving our facilities in poor condition, i.e. trashed and items stolen. As a result we have been asked not to return to certain areas of campus, and we have had to scrounge for unusual rooms, so if you end up debating in a closet, that is why. We are asking our guests to pick up after themselves and participate in a keep the CC tournament clean program. We are hopeful that you will participate, and ensure the continued existence of the tournament.Tournament ScheduleFriday 8:30 Registration Opens-Worner9:00 NDT - CEDA debate Rd 1 L-D Debate Rd 110:00 L-D Debate Rd 211:00 NDT - CEDA debate Rd 2,L-D Debate Rd 312:00 NPDA Debate Rd 1 Topic Released1:30 NPDA Debate Rd 2 Topic Released2:00 NDT - CEDA debate Rd 3IE Rd 1 Pattern A, Extemp Draw4:00 NDT - CEDA debate Rd 45:00 NPDA Debate Rd 3 Topic Released6:30 IE Rd 1 Pattern B, L-D Rd 4Saturday8:00 Rd 2 Pattern A, Extemp DrawNDT - CEDA debate Rd 5 IE9:45 IE Rd 2 Pattern B,L-D Elim as Needed10:00 NDT - CEDA debate Rd 611:30 Lunch Break-Lunch Provided for all Participants in Worner Center!12:30 NPDA Debate Rd 4 Topic Released1:15 NDT - CEDA debate Elim as needed2:00 IE Sems and Finals as needed,L-D Elim as Needed3:30 NPDA Debate Rd 5 Topic ReleasedNDT - CEDA debate Elim as Needed L-D Elim as needed5:00 IE Finals as needed5:30 NDT - CEDA debate Elim as Needed6:30 NPDA Debate Rd 6 Topic ReleasedSunday 8:30 AWARDS Gates Common Room, Palmer Hall, debate Elims to FollowConflict Pattern "A" Event ADS, CA, DI, EXT, INF, POI Conflict Pattern "B" Events: L-D, DUO, IMP, PER , POE , PRO NPDA TOPIC ANNOUNCEMENTS WILL TAKE PLACE AT Gates Common Room, Palmer Hall Extemp Prep is in Olin Room #1

http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx