[eDebate] The Merger from Afar

MWBRYANT at aol.com MWBRYANT
Fri Aug 31 13:59:00 CDT 2007

<Delcoaking>

Hey, folks, wassup!

Killing time during my Friday morning office hours, I had the sublime
pleasure of reading the interchange with "Swampy" Elliott (a guy I remember as
being much friendlier than he sometimes seems online... imagine someone like
that, will you?)

The temptation to respond was overwhelming. (I know, who cares...)

First, the notion that Tuna was the "genesis" of the merger had me laughing
hard. Check the pre-merger CEDA-L archives. They must be around somewhere.
Tuna  proved a good CEDA leader by considering a superior course of action even
though  he had argued against it, often and vociferously. "Facilitator" of the
merger is a better way of looking at it. The representative from the NDT
Committee that carried the proposal to Tuna should get a nod, too. Wouldn't you
have loved to be a fly on that wall?

Secondly, CEDA was changing drastically prior to the merger. The year-long
policy topic the year before the merger convinced 90% of folks that the NDT
format was just a better way to debate. CEDA circuits were drying up, though
lower level regional opportunities for novices and JV were still available. The
merger was inevitable. And, now, the foundation of evidence-based team
debate seems pretty strong. Except, those novice regional opportunities seem
limited to certain parts of the country. I understand your pain, Swampy. Face  it,
God just doesn't love Louisiana. I'll make a suggestion about that a little
later.

Third, the next big battle is merging NDTCEDA and Parli. I'm wondering when
some kritical hotshots are going to realize what kind of fun they could have
in  parli. Talk to Steve Clemmons. Once policy ev debaters and parli debaters
understand and respect one another, encouraging some of the top parli programs
 to try evidence debate is not impossible. But, it'll probably require policy
ev  debaters to try their hands at some parli. There are legitimate
challenges to  doing both forms of debate. I applaud Tuna for starting to promote
international  parli formats. Once again, Tuna proves that sometimes it's time to
change your  perspective. (Admittedly, his metamorphosis has been taking place
for several  years, at least since his institute started including a separate
parli section.)  What are you current timeline projections, Tuna, for being
World Debate Czar?  See, you didn't really need access to those Soros funds,
after all! You  transcend money!

Overall, I think debate's doing OK. From out here in the bleachers, there
are strong and weak areas, but the overall quality and quantity seems fairly
good. There might be need for some more major JV and novice tournaments in the
deep South and Mountain West. I hope your parli debaters come back, Swampy.  I
hope you'll let them persuade you to take them to a few parli tournaments due
 to the shortage of policy ev tournaments in your area. I promise you they'll
get  a valuable educational experience. Have you considered any NFA LD?
There's  considerably more of that in your area. Way to go buddy, you're still out
there  plugging for the novii. But, in the end, never rely on a single
organization to give you what you need for your students. Organizations are  almost
always a real disappointment. Piece together your own multi-faceted  program.
You did OK before, you can do it again. Hell, I've even known  people that
made I.E.'s educationally competitive, though admitting that is  extremely
painful.

Congrats to everyone out there on the start of another season!

Bear
Louisville, KY

<Re-Cloa