[eDebate] You would think they could post a calender-reply to Neil

Morris, Eric R EricMorris
Wed Aug 29 02:15:18 CDT 2007

It IS the job of tournament directors to report tournaments to CEDA for sanctioning. The vast majority do so automatically by setting up their tournaments on the Bruschke site. I suspect any official register for CEDA tournaments closely matches that website. While CEDA could post a mirror list (perhaps adding Kentucky - not sure whether many others are taking registration outside the Bruschke website), I think the Bruschke system has substantially improved things.

The Bruschke site doesn't extend through the whole year, largely because many spring tournaments have not entered their data. My suspicion is that some directors are still finalizing arrangements, and will post once they are pretty sure the details are set. Our practice is to plan for those tournaments based on prior years, but we do tend to attend the same tournaments from year to year.

It would be possible, I suppose, to increase the required tournament declaration time (I think it's perhaps a month out under CEDA rules), but the effect might only be to cause an occasional loss of a tournament's standing. I don't think the lead time was particularly longer in the heady days of Church and Simerly, but I suppose I wasn't the head coach back then...

CEDA would be a more active organization if it's officers were not overworked debate coaches just adding more to their fairly crazy schedules. As things are, I think what we get is what we should expect.

Dr. Eric Morris
Asst Prof of Communication & Director of Forensics
Craig Hall 366A, Dept of Communication
Missouri State University
Springfield, MO 65897
(O) 417-836-7636