[eDebate] Does a CEDA Debate Calender really exist?

Joe Patrice joepatrice
Wed Aug 29 10:14:04 CDT 2007

While I think the Bruschke site is completely intuitive, there should be a
link to it from the CEDA website.  The website is new and there are links
that have been lost in translation and that is an important one.

Speaking of the Bruschke site, while not officially a "calendar" it is the
repository of the invites that have been put out so far (I count 18 in the
Fall) and the "calendar" that the community uses.  Scott's indict of the
lack of some alternative calendar is confusing -- even if it were a list on
a website I'm kind of confused how anyone would know to put a tournament on
a calendar before it puts out an invite.

But here Scott raises an excellent point that directors need to start
putting out their invites.  The activity has grown a too insular and we all
just "know" when certain tournaments are and what they will use for a hotel
long before anything is announced.  This insular mindset is one of the many
obstacles that a new program faces that we need to combat.  In the old days
that Scott references there were no deadlines for tournament
sanctioning...people just got their stuff announced in a timely manner and
the community has slipped.

While I'm not certain about the dates proposed in his post, I am mulling
over an amendment setting a deadline for tournaments to put out their invite
to be sanctioned to encourage timely announcements.  That said, I may put in
an exemption for new and emerging programs who may not have the
institutional support to know if their tournament will fly until later in
the year.  I also worry about the insitutional hurdles of some established
programs -- I know I once worked at a school that wouldn't allow me to book
rooms on campus for the Fall semester until after Labor Day...so
guaranteeing a November tournament was impossible until then.  Some
provision would have to be made for that situation too.

Joe