[eDebate] Different experience with novii and the topic...

Sue Peterson bk2nocal
Thu Aug 30 20:53:26 CDT 2007

I can only speak from my own experience, but I have a program of all
novii with two JV debaters and they all seem totally jazzed about this
topic.  The first meeting of the year went 1/2 hour over time simply
because they didn't want to stop talking about what they thought would
be good affirmative arguments, what kind of definitions they wanted to
look for, etc.  The second meeting (only two days later) they all had
articles and definitions that they had been able to find totally on
their own.  In addition, one of our TAs told his public speaking class
what the topic area was (albeit, not quoting the resolution
specifically, but just saying it was debating whether we should increase
our engagement with these countries) and got three people who came after
class to find out more about the team BECAUSE of the topic.

I would think that as advocates we could instill the importance of this
topic being debated at this point in time being something that is
important to any well-educated citizen.  After all, there are all sorts
of implications to what we, as the US, decide to do in that part of the
world.  And there are a number of different views within the individuals
running for President on what should be done.  There are well-educated
people making statements EVERY DAY in the news on this subject.  I
honestly can't think of a topic that would be easier for novii to locate
evidence, construct positions and advocate those positions.  There
wasn't one person at our table of 12 at the first team meeting that
DIDN'T have an opinion about US foreign policy in the Middle East.  Its
something they know about already, can easily access information about
and feel good about learning more on the subject (like its useful,
instead of just an abstract exercise being done for debate and nothing
else).

I agree that the resolution is wordy...but I pitch it as something we
simplify through that old "parametricizing" idea...we don't debate the
RESOLUTION.  We debate the affirmative case - and although there are a
number of affirmatives available, all of my novii felt comfortable being
able to find arguments as to why an increase in US involvement in the
Middle East would be a bad idea, no matter what form that involvement
took and what country in the Middle East the US got involved in.

I really think that we sometimes lose sight of what gets students jazzed
up about debate.  It isn't the resolution - its them being able to have
a voice about a subject they (1) know something about and (2) care
about.  From my first week at Chico and my experience working with the
novice lab at ADI this summer, this topic does both of those things.
So, I have to respectfully disagree with this topic being bad for
novice/JV debate.  Last year's topic, although I personally liked it,
did not lend itself to being novice friendly.  The literature was
difficult to find in most cases on overturning supreme court cases of
any kind, let alone the four we had a choice of.  This year, the novii
at ADI were able to find evidence almost immediately.  They were able to
brainstorm affirmative and negative arguments almost immediately.  In
addition, as Dr. Hingstman pointed out in the beginning of his topic
lecture at ADI, this is the first topic in recent memory that was
actually discussed, almost in its exact form, during a Presidential
debate.

So, obviously you have had a vastly different experience than I have had
on this topic, but I think perhaps we should examine a little larger
sample before jumping to conclusions about the topic.

--Sue Peterson
CSU Chico