[eDebate] West Georgia Tournament Invitation

Sarah Holbrook sarp23
Sat Dec 1 14:31:26 CST 2007

Entry is open on Bruske's site, here's the invitation. See y'all in Carrollton!Sarah HolbrookWest Georgia

2008 Tisinger Debate Tournament

University of West Georgia

Carrollton, GA

Saturday, January 19th - Monday, January 21st

The West Georgia Debate program invites you to attend the Tisinger Debate
Tournament, held on the campus in Carrollton,
 GA Saturday January 19th
? Monday January 21st 2008.
We plan to continue our long tradition of Southern hospitality providing
outstanding food and Hester?s special awards.

Debate Information:

We plan to offer 8 preliminary
debates clearing to Octafinals on the 2007-2008 CEDA/NDT topic (Middle East) in one Open division.

?
The time limits are 9-3-6 with 10 minutes
prep.

?
Judges must assign a winner and loser in each
round. If that doesn't occur within a reasonable time frame the tab room will
decide.

?
All preliminary debates and elims will occur on
campus. More information will be available at registration

?
We are currently capped at 80 teams with no more
than 5 teams per school. We will continue to seek out additional space and may
be able to accommodate additional teams per school at a later date. Please add
teams to the waitlist and email Sarah at sarp23 at hotmail.com
to request additional team entries.

Fees

 $50 per
person. This will include a wide range of hospitality, food and awards.
This is a new fee structure over previous years, but it?s simple ? 2 debaters
with one coach is $150, 2 teams with 2 coaches is $300, etc. Email in advance
if you need any help with the math or if you need any special paperwork,
purchase orders, etc. If you are cutting a check in advance it MUST be made out
to Michael Hester, there is no ?West Georgia Debate? account. If this will be a
problem just contact us in advance and we?ll work out an institutional channel
for you.

Judging:

Each school is expected to provide
one judge per two teams they bring. There are 8 rounds so a 1/2 commitment is 4
rounds. Each judge will be obligated for the octafinals and one round beyond
the elimination of their team.

HIRED JUDGING WILL NOT BE
AVAILABLE.  We can?t stress this enough, Carrollton does not have a
bunch of qualified judges hanging around, you must bring judging to cover your
teams. We will not be able to accept uncovered entries. We will make every
effort to place all judges, but if it becomes impossible to place a judge we
will expect other judges from that school to cover additional rounds. If you
have extra judges or rounds available please let us know as we would definitely
like to hire them to ensure maximum flexibility and preferences in the pool, just
email Sarah at sarp23 at hotmail.com. All judges are expected to render a
decision in a timely fashion and designate one, and only one, team as the
winner of the debate. We plan on utilizing mutual preference judging.  You
will be able to enter your preference sheets online at Brushkes website. We'll
contact you as the tournament draws near when its time to start ranking.

Transportation:

Driving ? Most of you who do this know the route. We are basically
located west of Atlanta
off I -20.

From
Atlanta

Travel I-20 West to Villa Rica/UWG
Exit 24 and turn left (west) onto Hwy. 61. Travel about 12 miles to Hwy. 166
(Carrollton South Bypass) and turn left onto the 166 Bypass where Grace Lutheran
 Church will be on the
right. (Other landmarks to watch for before you reach the light at Hwy. 166
include Richard Haney Ford and Ryan's Steakhouse on the right and McDonald?s,
Zaxby?s and Longhorn Steak House on the left.) On the 166 Bypass, travel to the
6th traffic light. A CVS will be on the corner. At that light, turn right onto Maple Street (also
Hwy. 166). UWG will be on the left about 6/10 of a mile along Maple Street. To
travel to the hotels follow these directions, once on the 166 Bypass take the
Hwy 27 Exit and turn left for Hampton/Holiday Inn or right for Jameson, etc.

From
Birmingham

Travel I-20 East to Bremen/UWG Exit
11, turn right (South) and follow Hwy. 27 South into Carrollton, turn right onto Maple Street (Hwy.
166) . UWG will be on the right approximately 2 miles. To travel to hotels
along Hwy 27 simply stay on 27 through the Maple Street intersection, Hampton and Holiday Inn
are past Target on the right, you?ll see the others along the way.

Flying ? You can fly into either the Atlanta
airport (about 45 minutes - 1 hour away) or the Birmingham airport (about 1 ? hours away).
>From Atlanta airport exit the terminal onto 85
North, Follow signs to I ? 20 West and directions above to Carrollton. From Birmingham airport follow I ? 20 East and
directions above. Rental vehicles are available at either location.

If you are brave you can email
Hester mhester at westga.edu for the secret shortcut from the Atlanta airport, it really only makes a
difference if you land in the middle of rush hour.

Hotel Information:

Elims on campus make an official tournament hotel
unnecessary. Here are some convenient options on Hwy 27/South Park Street very
close to campus, near a 24 hour grocery and just down the street from a variety
of food choices including the 24 hour IHOP. Make sure you register at the
correct location ? you want to be in Carrollton
not out by I -20 or it?s a long drive to campus.

Hampton Inn ?

102 S. Cottage Hill Road, Carrollton, Georgia, USA 30117

Tel: +1-770-838-7722
Fax: +1-770-838-7419

-Free high
speed internet in rooms, wireless in the lobby

Holiday Inn
Express ?

104 S. Cottage Hill Road

Carrollton, GA 30117

hotel front desk: 1-770-8380508 | hotel fax: 1-770-8381090

-Highspeed wireless in room and lobby

-Microwave and fridge in every room

Jameson Inn of
Carrollton

700 S. Park St.

Carrollton, Georgia
  30177

Phone: 770-834-2600

Fax: 770-836-0713

-free internet

-some rooms with fridge, microwave

Super 8 Motel
  Carrollton GA

901 South Park
  Street

US
27 at Lagrange Exit

Carrollton,
 GA, 30117
 US

-free high speed internet

The Great Western
Inns

180 Centennial Road

770-214-0037

-Never heard of it before, it?s just down the street from
Hampton/Holiday Inn behind Chick Fil A by the old tournament hotel

-Looks very budget

-No Internet

Farther away ?

(Located out where you turn onto the Bypass)

Best Western Carrollton Inn & Suites

1111 Bankhead Highway,  Carrollton,
 GA,  30117-1803,
 United States

Phone:
7708301000

Entry Information:

We
will be utilizing the Bruschke online entry system.  Online entry can be
accessed at http://debateresults.com. Remember, cap is
currently 5 teams from any one school with a total of 80 teams.

Schedule:

Friday, January 18th

7pm ? 10pm
Registration  (Location TBA)

Saturday, January 19th

8:00 am                    Pairings released on campus for Rounds
1 & 2, Breakfast in Humanities lobby

9:00 am
Round 1

11:30am
Round 2

1:30pm                    Lunch in Humanities Lobby

3:00pm                    Round
3

6:00pm                    Round
4

Sunday, January 20th

7:00am
           Pairings released on campus,
Breakfast in Humanities lobby

8:00am
           Round 5

11:00am                  Round 6

1:00pm                    Lunch
in Humanities Lobby

2:30pm
           Round 7

6:00pm
           Round 8

9:00pm                 Pizza,
Speaker Awards and Elim Announcements in Humanities Lobby

Monday, January 21st

7:00am
           Pairings released on campus in
Humanities building

8:00am
           Octa Finals

Elims will continue until we have a champion.