[eDebate] Harriet Tubman Debates Invitation

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Mon Dec 10 14:55:16 CST 2007

10/16/07

Dear Debate Community:

 We are pleased to invite you to the second annual Harriet Tubman Debate
Tournament, January 19-20, 2008 at Towson University. The tournament will be
hosted by Baltimore College Debate and The Towson University Speech and
Debate Team. The tournament will take place on the Martin Luther King
holiday weekend and we encourage people to stick around the
Baltimore/Washington area on Monday and take part in the celebration of Dr.
King's life. We will provide extensive information about local activities as
the tournament gets closer.

The tournament will offer 6 preliminary rounds in Varsity and in Novice. JV
will be combined with varsity in prelims with separate breakout debates and
speaker awards for JV students not qualifying for open outrounds(more on
this in the invite). We aim to break to a quarter final(partial) octas if
the field is large enough) in open and a (partial) quarter final in novice.

We will likely use the same hotel we used for the last tournament, The La
Quinta Inn on Philadelphia Ct is 15 minutes from the University. We have a
rate of $99 a night, that includes free wireless and breakfast in the
morning. We encourage anybody attending this tournament to stay at the la
Quinta and to sign up for their rewards program. With tournaments frequently
held here in Baltimore the hotel points can really add up. Hotel information
will be in the invite and posted to edebate as it is finalized.

One of the benefits of running tournaments all the time is that we can
experiment with different small changes. At this tournament we will
experiment with a different means of ranking and seeding teams. We believe
that points are a potentially arbitrary way to seed teams and break ties so
we will tab with a model that puts emphasis on opposition wins. We seek
feedback on how this works and encourage everyone to reflect on the
difference.

This is the last tournament of the year for Baltimore College Debate, it has
been a very successful season and we encourage you to join us in Baltimore
in January as we celebrate the completion of our second season.

 andy at baltimorecollegedebate.org or 240-285-0843

 Andy Ellis
Executive Director
Baltimore College Debate

* *

*ELIGIBILITY & EXPECTATIONS*: The tournament is open to any two-person team
of undergraduate students. Teams in all divisions will be expected to engage
in switch-sides debating. Debaters without partners (mavericks) will be
paired up with other debaters with out a partner and will only be allowed to
compete without a partner at the discretion of the tournament director .
Towson may enter teams and those teams can clear in all divisions. Hybrid
teams will be accepted. Novice & JV debaters should meet the CEDA standards
for novice eligibility. Varsity is open to any competitor.

*ENTRIES & FEES:* Please enter via debate results www.debateresults.com, you
will receive a confirmation. Entry fees are $25 per team at the tournament
or $15 in advance. Advance entry credits can be purchased online at
www.theyoursstore.com

*FORMAT: *All divisions will have 6 preliminary rounds; advancement to
elimination rounds will be based on (*1) win-loss record, (2) strength of
opposition (3) adjusted speaker points, and (4) total speaker points*,.
Speaker points may be given in .5 increments.

The first two rounds will be pre-set. Round 3 will be paired off  of rounds
1 and round 4 & 5 will be paired off of rounds 1-3.Round 6 will be paired
off of 1-5 . Time limits will be 9-3-6 with 10 minutes prep
time. Elimination round sides will be determined based on (1) reversing
sides from a prelim meeting, (2) individual coin flips.

In the Combined JV/Varsity Division Rounds 1,3and 5 will be paired within
division to the best of our ability.

*The tournament will use the CEDA Resolution:* Resolved: that the United
States Federal Government should increase its constructive engagement with
the government of one or more of: Afghanistan, Iran, Lebanon, the
Palestinian Authority, and Syria, and it should include offering them a
security guarantee(s) and/or a substantial increase in foreign assistance.

The tab room will be open and public, coaches judges and teams are
encouraged to watch and participate in the process. The tournament will seek
ada certification and abide by ADA rules.

*JUDGES:* One judge is required to cover every two teams. One judge covering
one team is responsible for 3 rounds. All judges are committed to one round
past their teams' elimination.

A very limited number of judges may be available for hire through the
tournament at $100 per uncovered team. Contact us early if you need help
finding judges. Judges should meet the standards of the sanctioning
organizations.

*HOTELS:* We provide two primary Hotel options.

The La Quinta Inn on Philadelphia Ct is 15 Minutes from the tournament
convient access to interstates, food and shopping. We have a rate of $99 a
night that includes breakfast each morning and free wireless in all rooms.
We encourage you to become a member of the la quinta rewards program if you
stay at this hotel as we will be using it frequently in the future. The rate
has yet to be locked into place and information will be provided on edbeate
as soon as the block is ready. Conatct the la quinta at 410 574 8100 the
block is under Baltimore College Debate.

Comfort Inn $82/night, 8801 Loch Raven, internet, regular rooms.
 The Comfort Inn Towson is a wonderful hotel situated in a suburb setting
close to all the charm and history of Towson and the surrounding Baltimore
County. An overall atmosphere of serenity will delight guests when they
check in, for this hotel is well attuned to the individual needs of all its
visitors. The hotel features complimentary parking. In addition, area
attractions and venues that guests will want to experience are within the
vicinity, making it fun to get to know the area.
When it comes to the hotel's accommodations, guests will find everything
they want and need. With impressively appointed guest rooms that are well
stocked with the modern amenities travelers expect today, the hotel goes a
long way to make sure everyone enjoys their stay.
Adding to the overall pleasure of a stay here is the attentive and friendly
staff. Always professional, the knowledgeable staff is on call for every
guest needs and requests. The hotel is close to area dining, entertainment
and shopping venues.

If you have questions about hotels please feel free to contact me at
andy at baltimorecollegedebate.org
or 240-285-0843. As progress on a long term hotel deal is worked out I will
post information about it.

* *

* *

*TRAVEL: *Towson is easily accessible from the I-95 corridor to the north
and south and from the I-70 corridor to the west. Towson is 100 miles from
Philly, 70 miles from Harrisburg  80 miles from Hagerstown, 60 miles from
DC, 70 miles from Wilmington Delaware and less then 50 miles from Bowie and
Annapolis. More information can be found here
http://wwwnew.towson.edu/main/abouttu/visitor/dircampus.asp

* *

*PARKING:  *Parking is free on weekends as long as it is marked as such, we
will post parking maps on edebate and baltimorecollegedebate.org closer to
the tournament.

*FOOD: * We will provide snacks, coffee and water throughout the day. Light
breakfast and Pizza Lunch will be provided on Saturday and Sunday.

*Saturday 1/19
*9:00-9:45 Registration
9:45 Pairings Released for Round 1 & 2

10:00 Round 1