[eDebate] Cornell Debate Tournament Invitation

Tony Liao chungli.liao
Sun Dec 16 14:15:42 CST 2007

Dear Colleagues:

The Cornell Forensics Society cordially invites you to attend the 2008
Russell D. Martin / Pam Stepp Invitational Policy Debate Tournament, to be
held *Saturday, February 8th and Sunday, February 9th. *The Tournament is
named for the late professor Martin, a longtime supporter of the CFS, and
Dr. Stepp, former Director of Forensics at Cornell.

This year's tournament will be CEDA and SAMBA (Society Advocating More and
Better Argumentation) sanctioned and will offer Novice, Junior Varsity,
and Open divisions of policy debate as well as a new World's Format /
British Parliamentary division.

We will follow CEDA policies on sexual harassment as well as the definition
of Novice. The topic will be the official CEDA/NDT 2007-2008 Topic for all
policy divisions.

Rounds will take place in the buildings around the Ag Quad.

Entries:  We request that you enter the tournament using debateresults.com.
Tournament registration via debateresults.com will be open within a couple
of hours of the release of this invitation, and will close on Thursday,
February 6th at 5:00 p.m EST.
Registration:  Registration will be in the tournament hotel lobby on Friday,
February 7th from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Judging: Please provide one judge with a full commitment to cover two teams.
Entry
fees will be $70 for each covered team, and $120 for each uncovered team.

Divisions:  We will offer Novice, JV, and Varsity divisions.  Each will have
6 preliminary rounds, followed by
the appropriate number of elimination rounds based on how many teams end
up entering the tournament. Cornell teams may enter the tournament, but
will not participate in elimination rounds.  The rounds for British
Parliamentary will be determined by the number of entries, with at least 5
preliminary rounds.

New Rule Consideration:  In an effort to make the tournament run on time, we
are considering implementing a policy of giving teams additional judge
strikes in out rounds if their coaches/judges start their rounds on time.

Tab:  Mike Davis from James Madison University will be running the tab room
policy debate.  Tuna Snider will be running the World's/BP tab.

Lodging:  We have secured blocks of rooms at a Cornell owned hotel in the
area. There
are other options, but this one is the best:

Best Western University Inn,

East Hill Plaza

1020 Ellis Hollow Road

Ithaca, NY 14850

(607)-272-6100

THIS WILL BE THE OFFICIAL TOURNAMENT HOTEL.
It is less than 5 minutes from the Cornell Campus, and it has free Wi-Fi and
continental breakfast.  We have secured a block of rooms, but *in order to
get the Cornell Debate rate you must call in and reserve them by January
8th, 2008. *The special discount we have negotiated is $89 per night for a
double-bed room.  Be sure to mention that you are reserving rooms for the
Cornell Debate tournament in order to get the discount. We have just over 40
guest rooms blocked, so don't wait until the last minute to book rooms.  The
other hotel options are either expensive or far away.

The hotel block is under the name Cornell Debate.

Parking: There will likely be some parking available on Tower Rd., or Also
in the J Lot right next to Kennedy Hall (It's a gravel lot right off Tower
Road)

Saturday, February 8th:

7:00am-8:00 Late Registration, Warren Hall, room 145.
Donuts, coffee, bagels, etc. will be available.

Pairings will be released at 8:00 a.m., rounds start at 8:30 a.m. .  There
will be 5 preliminary rounds on Saturday, with lunch and dinner provided.

Sunday February 9th

Pairings will be released at 8:00 a.m., rounds start at 8:30 a.m.  Donuts,
Coffee, Bagels will be available, and lunch will be provided.  Elimination
rounds continue after awards as appropriate/necessary.

Beautiful and detailed maps of the campus are available at
http://www.cornell.edu/maps/. <http://www.cornell.edu/maps/>
http://www.cornell.edu/img/maps/large.pdf

For further information please contact Assistant Director of Forensics,
Tony Liao at cl566 at cornell.edu or call his cell at 310-909-3509.

We look forward to hosting you this year in Ithaca!

Sincerely,

Sam Nelson
Director of Forensics

Tony Liao