[eDebate] Owen L. Coon Junior and Big Ten Championship

Scott Deatherage lsd041
Tue Dec 18 21:42:38 CST 2007

Greetings, all.  I hope this note finds you well and enjoying a brief
and productive break before the second season begins.

I write with news of a new tournament addition the calender.  I know
it's late in the planning process, but Kevin and I hope that you and
some number of your students will join us in Evanston in late January
for a little debating affair, the Owen L. Coon Junior Memorial
Tournament and 1st Annual Big Ten Championship.

We apologize for the late notice; the idea has been in the works and
in discussion amongst coaches in this area of the country for some
time, but logistics were wrecking havoc with an otherwise worthy
debate competition.  A couple of changes in the last seven days have
all of the sudden made the event viable:  cancellation of this year's
Heart of America opened a weekend makes available space on our
campus, and Katie LaValle's generous willingness to switch the
Augustana weekend to the early weekend in February coalesced to make
the late January weekend an available date for a tournament to
emerge.    Hence:

Tournament Name:        Owen L. Coon Junior Memorial and 1st Annual
Big Ten Championship

Competition Dates:      Saturday through Monday, January 26-28, 2008

We want to offer a quality alternative to teams in this area of the
country who are running out of affordable spots for competition late
in the season.  We also hope to offer a spot for teams looking for a
warm-up prior to this year's regular season closer at Texas.  We'll
be in Austin in force, an continue to encourage you to send strong
students to that event.  The timing for this event is perfect for
those in the region unable to make the trek to Texas, and idea for
those looking for a little warm-up prior to that event.

BIG TEN CHAMPIONS:  We also want to make the tournament a fun and
challenge event for those in our region of the country.  In the spirt
of regional competition, we will award the top three squads from
participating Big Ten schools (there are actually 11 schools in the
"Big Ten,") Championship Awards.  We have a number of fun surprises
planned for Big Ten participants.  See the invitation (and the
tournament) for details.

Invitation, Hotel, Entry Fees:  We will post a complete no later than
the end of this week.  I'm still finalizing the hotel contact; that's
the hold-up at present.  Our goal is to offer an affordable option;
accordingly, we'll cut-out the traditional "banquet" on Sunday
night.  We'll try for a more casual event that will hopefully be fun
for all and will keep the entry fee at an affordable price.

Look for a complete invitation both on edebate and at
www.debateresults.com on Friday of this week, December 21.

Have a good break, and best wishes to all.  SD

Scott Deatherage
Director of Debate
Northwestern University
Evanston, Illinois