[eDebate] [Fwd: Fwd: great debaters... and . ellis is a moron]

Omri Ceren ceren
Wed Dec 19 21:56:27 CST 2007

I thought this would go without saying, but apparently it doesn't - I
obviously had nothing to do with this semi-literate nonsense.

Omri.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[eDebate] Fwd: great debaters... and . ellis is a moron
Date: 	Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:35:00 -0500
From: 	jesus christ <omritarded at gmail.com>
To: 	edebate at ndtceda.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *jesus christ* <omritarded at gmail.com <mailto:omritarded at gmail.com>>
Date: Dec 19, 2007 7:22 PM
Subject: great debaters... o'donnel... ellis is a moron
To: edebate at ndtceda.com <mailto:edebate at ndtceda.com>

Now i don't want to get into a rant here but its seems to me that this
poor fellow knows little of what debate actually looks like:

"As debaters, this is a story that we all know. Debate helped us find
our voices and stand up as leaders, just as it did for the debaters at
Wiley. We've seen a lot of bad debate movies come out over the years,
but this one has an inspiring story worth spotlighting."

Does debate really help anybody stand up as a leader... leader in what?
maybe it helped Klinger lead the nation in baggies purchased  or  maybe
its helped Tristan  lead the nation in douche-baggery  but does it
really help anybody stand up for anything? In my observation  much of
the value debate that happens at the Kritical end of the spectrum just
confuses everybody about what s right or wrong or what could be right if
it didn't unify or crystallize or impose judgement on an all ready
overly judgemental pedagogy of who the fuck cares.

It seems to me that this new movie will do nothing to make anybody think
about anything that Doc. Warner hasn't been nagging us all into thinking
about for the last ten years. (as an aside, does a dead movement still
need a fat black preacher? sorry doc) has it worked? Will it work if
Denzel does it?  Will it work if Oprah does it? Fuck no it wont work.
why wont it work  because debate doesn't teach us to care it teaches to
forgo caring in the service of thinking. ill see this movie and ill be
glad that it glorifies to others what i waste so much of my time with
but  what we do shouldn't be compared as it  isn't what those student
did, isn't what people think of when the word "debate" is said, isn't
what Andy's stupid rambling you tube videos wish it could be and isn't
much more than magic the gathering with literature instead of orcs and
goblins and shit... just ask Jake Zearing.

Look, people that care about stuff are generally stupid( don't blame me,
blame GOD) and people who don't care about stuff are generally pretty
smart(again not my fault,  blame the Germans or something) and this
clash of civilizations is exactly that  dumb people with souls versus
smart people who sold theirs for a speaker award... i know i know "what
about Luis and Brenda and Obie and  all the smart weirdos" a. they
aren't that smart. b. they too sold out. The soulless fucks won a long
time ago not just in debate but in the world at large and its our game
with our rules  and our glass ceilings and our  token Mexicans and token
black people and token  hippies. get used to it or kill yourself.

anyway,  back to leadership. debate doesn't make us into leaders but
actually into sheep. busy little sheep who produce more in less time
than the other sheep in our flock(trust me I'm one of these sheep and
have the gold stars to prove it. if you still don't believe me ask Ross
Smith he says that  topical education makes us into good little
bureaucrats so we can dutifully do the work of the state or industry
without questions that someone who came to lead might be inclined
toward. what is it that the duck says" DON'T ASK ARGUE".

ELLIS:

now, while I've enjoyed some of his cute little thought experiments in
the past(fucking with the mediocre, annoying Josh, incoherently rambling
about why T is equal to genocide) his last post i find particularly
asinine. i urge you all to go a look at his pasty decrepit mug rambling
about this "war"  if nothing else it will make you laugh... i promise
there wont be much thinking involved:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rXs8S1n95qY

didja see it... cute right? here's a little FYI for mister Ellis: NO ONE
GIVES A FUCK!!!!!
its a game that some people like to play it doesn't mean anything and
never will. sure there was probably a time when it had the ability to
shape the political realm in important ways  and sure Denzel and Oprah
are deluded enough to think it could still. but it cant and it wont and
just because your teams and the teams you vote for belong in parli and
get sand kicked in their face by the big mean policy wonks doesn't mean
you should go on youtube and tell the whole world that the left needs to
unify and focus on pedagogy and do a little dance about it... luckily
the Internet is the last refuge of the lonely loser with nothing else to
do but annoy nobody , in hopes that there is a critical mass of pathetic
nobodies that will join your cause and revolutionize meaninglessness for
the rest of us.For the love of god masturbate, do some blow or get a
real job, stop pretending like any of this matters.

--

PhD Candidate, USC Annenberg School for Communication
Email: ceren at usc.edu
Mobile: 412-512-7256