[eDebate] Novice - JV eligibility

J Stan jstan1979
Sun Dec 2 08:57:00 CST 2007

I don't really see why this needs to be legislated, But I do have some
general ideas of norms that might be thought about....

If you have a debater who broke at an Open tournament then they probably
don't need to be debating in JV.
If your JV team won their first JV tournament of their college career and
then debated in open the rest of the year, you probably don't need to take
them in JV at a regional tournament at the end of the first semester of
their second year after they have debated in Open all of the first semester.
If you think you have a chance to qualify to the NDT through districts then
maybe you shouldn't be going in JV
If you look at the entries and realize that your teams may be significantly
better than all of the other entries in JV then maybe you should not put
them in JV
If you have a team that won a speaker award at  CEDA then they should not be
in JV
If a team won the NDT the previous year then they should not be in JV
If an individual was a top ten speaker at Wake Forest they should not be in
JV

Obvisously, the last two are true but sarcastic.  I say people should have
some common sense and try and do what is best for the activity and everyone
involved in the activity, not just what may be best for your CEDA points.
I  understand CEDA points and doing what you have to do to get funding for
your team.  However, this is true for everyone.  By one school making these
decisions for purposes of winning sweepstakes you practically guarantee that
"legitimate" JV debaters don't earn any points and thus schools who put
those students in what I believe to be the appropriate division don't get
points, don't get awards, and thus have to go back to their administration
with the argument.....We would of won, but our kids have 30 rounds of
experience and some schools put students in JV with 150 rounds of experience
so we lost, Sorry.  And, oh by the way, half our squad wants to quit because
they just had one of the least enjoyable experiences of their life.

Finally, how about the argument that it hurts the development of your
debaters who have high aspirations and hurts the development of relatively
new debaters who just enjoy debating in competitive, enjoyable rounds for
educational purposes.

Justin