[eDebate] Novice - JV eligibility

Jim Hanson hansonjb
Sun Dec 2 23:59:29 CST 2007

neil--let me respond to your hypothetical by saying: each of our choices has consequences.

when a coach puts in an overly good team into a lower division--that makes it real hard for the other debaters in that division. people have made that point quite sufficiently on this listserv (and it is a good point--I agree with it).

the other side of that coin hasn't been made. when a coach puts a weaker team into an upper division--several things happen: 1) good upper teams get at least one round that is less competitive/educational for them--the challenge that you put a lower division team into open for is not there for the open team; 2) the lower division does indeed lose one team, typically a decent team for that division, thereby making that division less competitive and less educational; 3) the team moved up typically loses rounds quickly and winds up moving into lower brackets and so may wind up getting rounds that are only marginally better than being in the upper brackets of the lower division anyway (depending on the tournament).

directly answering your hypothetical neil: is it your fault? no, you are not responsible for the state of debate. but remember that when you and other coaches make choices--it affects the choices of other coaches.

most of the tournaments we attend have no jv division and typically, an open division that is pretty cut-throat. when there is a jv division--it is that or throw these kids in to hit first rounds and top 40 and 50 teams that they will be crushed against or go against jv teams that they likely will crush. it is a lousy choice to have to make. and that is what I am saying.

jim :)
hansonjb at whitman.edu

From: NEIL BERCH
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2007 1:01 PM
To: edebate at www.ndtceda.com ; Jim Hanson
Subject: Re: [eDebate] Novice - JV eligibility

Jim--You usually make a lot of sense to me, but this one puzzles me.  Let's say that I have sophomores who only started debating in college.  They're in their third semester of debate, working hard, and perfectly capable of going 3-3 or 4-2 in JV.  They decide and/or agree to focus on the long-term, enter the Open division, take their 1-5 lumps, and learn a lot.  According to you, it's my/our fault (for having deserted the JV division) that the JV division is small and dominated by your equally hypothetical first-years who had 3 years of high school policy debate?  Wow!

--Neil