[eDebate] Schools voting?

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Sun Dec 9 09:01:11 CST 2007

I agree with Jackie that a list of schools voting is a legitimate thing (though it probably should have been known prior to the vote that a list of those voting would be released).  As for other contexts, many states in the US will release lists of those who vote in a particular election (or even an individual voter's historical participation record).  That's how:
1.  candidates target voters (well, one way anyway);
2.  you get embarrassing stories when celebrities run for office that show that Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lynn Swann didn't vote much before running for office.

--Neil Berch
Resident Political Science Geek
West Virginia University
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jeffrey.Jarman<mailto:jeffrey.jarman at wichita.edu>
  To: Massey, Jackie B.<mailto:debate at ou.edu> ; edebate<mailto:edebate at ndtceda.com>
  Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2007 9:49 AM
  Subject: Re: [eDebate] Schools voting?

  To my knowledge, CEDA has not ever released the names of those who voted.  I
  think that is consistent
  with other contexts of voting, too.

  Of course, the executive council could release that information if they wanted
  to.

  Jeff

  >===== Original Message From "Massey, Jackie B." <debate at ou.edu<mailto:debate at ou.edu>> =====
  >I saw that a whopping 58 schools voted.
  >
  >Is there any way we can get a list of those 58 who voted?
  >
  >I know we had a "committee" on this at NCA, how many of these schools are
  traditional NDT vs.
  traditional CEDA schools.  (I know some schools cant be broken down by this
  definition, some have
  always engaged in both -- i really mean pre-merger what type of debate did
  they do?)