[eDebate] Wiley defeated USC not Harvard

EMarlow at ucok.edu EMarlow
Tue Dec 18 16:22:17 CST 2007

Art writes:

As a Harvard Debate Alumnus, I am somewhat disturbed that the film
fictionalizes in this manner.  While I am certain that James Farmer Jr.
et al. the Wiley debaters were outstanding, the notion that the Harvard
Debate Team in 1935 or any other year would have been weaker than USC or
Wiley is ridiculous.  Harvard, along with Northwestern and Dartmouth,
has won numerous NDT championships, and when they have lost, it has
usually been on 3-2 panel decisions that were close or hard-fought.

Wow...now I understand why people think this activity is elitist.  Of
course Louisville and OU could never compete with such ivy league
greatness.  I don't know why we don't just phone in our NDT votes for
these three schools and save the cash it costs to attend.

Peace,
Marlow

**CONFIDENTIALITY** -This email (including any attachments) may
contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information.  Any