[eDebate] Northwestern Tourney Update #1: Entries, Wait List, Deadlines, Ground Transport, Etc.

Scott Deatherage lsd041
Mon Feb 5 09:48:31 CST 2007

Greetings, all.  I hope this note finds you well.  We are pleased
that so many of have decided to join us in February for the 49th
Annual Owen L. Coon Memorial Debates.  We look forward to returning
your hard work and hospitality, and to hosing all of in the heart of
Chicago, one of the nation's nicest urban centers.  Coaches are
especially encouraged to follow this and future updates regarding the
tournament.  They are aimed at facilitating a smooth and enjoyable
visit for all.  The first update:

    * TOURNAMENT ENTRIES AND WAIT LIST:  As of this typing, we are at
161 teams; if that number holds, this will be the largest
Northwestern tournament in history, surpassing the 2005 total of 149
teams!!!  Thanks for your continued support. I am going to take a
leep of faith and go ahead and accept wait list entries.  At present,
we are three rooms short of what we need on Sunday, and we are eying
every broom closet available.
    * ENTRY CONFIRMATION AND DEADLINES:  Please take a moment to
review and, and, as necessary, update your team and judge entry
information.  Even a change of two or three teams (plus or minus) can
have an important impact on our classroom situation.  Right now, we
have exactly and only the number of classroom we need, and that
number may be fluid on both the supply and demand side.  It really
helps us to work with as accurate a team and judge list as possible.
While it would be helpful to have accurate team and judge information
now, it is ESSENTIAL that we have it NO LATER THAN 9:00 AM CST ON
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 7.  That's three hours earlier than listed in the
invitation, but Tab Room Director Gary Larson has requested that hour
in order to facilitate his providing you access to judge preference
data in a timely fashion.  REMEMBER:  If you drop a judge or team
after Noon CST on that date, you will be assessed a $40 per person drop fee.
    * TOURNAMENT LOCATION:  Most of the preliminary debates will be
conducted on DePaul University's Lincoln Park campus, an 8-10 minute
drive from the tournament hotel.  A MUCH MORE DETAILED post on this
topic will appear early to mid-week.  Our venue choice is the result
of overdue renovations in the classroom building at Northwestern
University's downtown campus.  Three floors of Weiboldt Hall that
were due to be re-opened by November 30 remain under
reconstruction.  That's a net loss of approximately 30 classrooms,
and announcement of this delay in mid-January left us scrambling for
rooms.  Fortunately, we located and secured access to rooms at nearby
DePaul.  The DePaul neighborhood is both beautiful and debate-user
friendly, and it includes a building complex that can alone house
half of the tournament.  Again, please read additional details
carefully as they are posted.
    * TOURNAMENT HOTEL NAME CHANGE:  The tournament hotel has
recently changed ownership and name.  What was once the "Holiday Inn
City Centre" on January 16 because the "City Centre Hotel and Sports
Club."  I do not anticipate major problems arising from this
change.  The same key players on the management side of the hotel are
still in place.  Every department head who was involved in setting up
plans for the tournament is still on staff.  I am simply updating you
on the name change so as to avoid confusion.
    * GROUND TRANSPORTATION:  We are happy to provide transportation
for both persons and evidence between the tournament hotel and the
DePaul campus.  We encourage you to consider this option.  Parking
downtown can be quite expensive, upwards of $30 per day.  There is
also a small parking fee at DePaul, although the parking structure
there is quite convenient to the main buildings.  If you are in need
of such transport, please provide appropriate information to one of
our two Team Managers, Jessica Spanier at
<mailto:j-spanier at northwestern.edu>j-spanier at northwestern.edu.  In
your note, please tell Jessica:  (a) what school you represent; (b)
if you need ground transport (or not); (c) how many people are in
your party, and; (d) approximately how many boxes or tubs need to be
transported.  THIS INFORMATION IS ESSENTIAL TO OUR PLANNING FOR AN
EFFICIENT AND ENJOYABLE TOURNAMENT.  PLEASE E-MAIL JESSICA.  Please
DO NOT e-mail me.
    * VEGETARIANS, VEGANS, TOTAL ATTENDEES:  Directors -- Please ber
certain that your "vegetarian," "vegan," and "total attendees"
information at <http://www.debateresults.com/>www.debateresults.com
is accurate.  Log in, click on the "Enter" link, then down to the
"School Info" link on the left hand side of that page.  This permits
you to enter the information requested.  We are committed to
providing a quality tournament experience for all, but we do need to
know both how many vegetarians and vegans we have, as well as how
many people to expect, in order to make this a success.
    * JUDGE PREFERENCE:  After some considerable deliberation, we
have decided to employ the "nine category" ranking system used at a
number of large tournaments in recent years.  Gary will post details
the procedures and deadlines regarding judge preference data.  Please
keep you eye open for his posts as they typically require a timely
response. Gary asks that Directors make certain that their e-mail
contact information at
<http://www.debateresults.com/>www.debateresults.com is up to date
and accurate.  This is the method he will employ to communicate with
you individually, and he reports that in the past he has encountered
a number of outdated or corrupted addresses.  Judge Preferences MUST
be submitted NO LATER THAN 3:00 PM CST ON FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 9 if you
would like them to be observed in the presets, rounds 1-4.
    * JUDGE CONSTRAINTS:  If any of the judges associated with teams
you have entered have conflicts (students, teams, or schools they
should not hear), please be certain to enter those constraints at
<http://www.debateresults.com/>www.debateresults.com.  Please see the
tournament invitation for our statement on criteria for removing a
judge from potential conflicting situations.
    * LAST MINUTE CHANGES:  You will not be able to make changes
through <http://www.debateresults.com/>www.debateresults.com after
5:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 8.  If you have changes after that
time, please communicate them via e-mail to Gary at
<mailto:Gary.N.Larson at wheaton.edu>Gary.N.Larson at wheaton.edu AND to me
at <mailto:nudebate at northwestern.edu>nudebate at northwestern.edu.

Look for posts later in the week on a host of topics:  Tournament
building and room locations, parking near the hotel, parking near the
debates, tournament registration, the meal plan, etc.  Looking
forward to a GREAT tournament.  Best, all.  SD