[eDebate] FW: Ad for Chico State DOF

Phil Kerpen pgk
Fri Feb 9 16:56:42 CST 2007

  _____

From: Steven Brydon [mailto:SBrydon at csuchico.edu]
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 12:46 AM
To: kerpen at ndtceda.com
Subject: Ad for Chico State DOF

Kristina Whalen suggested that I contact you about posting the job
announcement for the Chico Director of Forensics Position on the NDT/CEDA
list serve. I would greatly appreciate it if you could do so. I don't want
to personally join the list-serve as I am no longer active in forensics (in
fact not for about 20 years) and I don't need to receive e-mails from the
organization. In fact, we are specifically asking for hard copy
applications, as our e-mail system tends to get overwhelmed with spam and
sometimes legitimate messages never make it through the spam filter.

If you need to verify anything, I can be reached at this e-mail address or
at my office phone (530) 898-6052.

Here is the job announcement:

Director of Forensics

Communication Arts & Sciences Department

The Position: Director of Forensics. One-year appointment with possibility
of renewal up to three years, full-time temporary faculty position beginning
August 2007. Successive appointments depend upon performance and continuing
enrollment demand/budget support.

As a university that educates students of various ethnic and cultural
backgrounds, we value a diverse faculty and staff. CSU, Chico welcomes
applicants who are knowledgeable about and interested in working within a
cross-cultural learning environment. We also welcome those who share a
passion and commitment to the University's 6th Strategic Priority that
focuses on sustainability, stewardship, and the environment.
<http://www.csuchico.edu/sustainablefuture/>
http://www.csuchico.edu/sustainablefuture/

Minimum Qualifications: Master's degree in Communication or related
discipline, a minimum of one year experience in directing forensics working
with both policy debate and individual events, successful classroom teaching
experience, and demonstrated ability to teach other courses within
Communication Studies that fit departmental needs, including courses in
argumentation and debate. Evidence of active participation in the forensics
community, including CEDA or NDT as well as AFA-NIET. Also active
participation in NCA and regional professional organizations. Participation
as an undergraduate in forensics is expected. Evidence of success as a
college policy debater or individual events participant.
Preferred Qualifications: Candidates with experience coaching policy debate,
ability to work well with a multicultural student population, and ability to
engage in community outreach.
Responsibilities Primary responsibilities of the position include directing
a nationally competitive forensics program, recruiting and supervising
Teaching Associates, recruiting students for the forensics program, budget
management, compliance with risk management procedures, teaching classes in
Communication Studies, managing an on-campus intramural tournament each
semester and other service responsibilities, including advising and
committee work. Teaching assignments are dependent upon needs of the
department and the background of the individual.
Salary: Salary is competitive and depends upon qualifications; an attractive
benefits package is available.
The Department: Communication Studies is one of two programs in the
Department of Communication Arts and Sciences, which is one of three
academic departments in the School of Communication and one of seven in the
College of Communication and Education. The program has 6 full-time faculty,
several part-time faculty and graduate teaching associates, approximately
280 undergraduate majors and 20 graduate students.
Closing Date: Review of candidates will begin March 12, 2007 and continue
until the position is filled.
How to Apply: All applicants must complete the Application for Academic
Employment Form, which is available on-line at
<http://www.csuchico.edu/hr/Forms/VPHR-FacultyEmplApp.doc>
http://www.csuchico.edu/hr/Forms/VPHR-FacultyEmplApp.doc to be submitted
with hard copies only of detailed vita, evidence of forensics achievement
and teaching effectiveness, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of
at least three current references to: Dr. Steve Brydon, Search Committee
Chair, Department of Communication Arts and Sciences, California State
University, Chico, Chico, CA 95929-0502, Phone: (530) 898-6052/5751 Fax:
898-4096

An annual security report disclosing crime statistics for California State
University, Chico

can be obtained by contacting the Chico State University Police Department
(530-898-5372)

or by accessing the following website:
<http://www.csuchico.edu/up/html/jeanne_clery.html>
http://www.csuchico.edu/up/html/jeanne_clery.html

For disability related accommodations please call Human Resources at:

(530)898-5029; or TDD: (530)898-5870

CSU, Chico is an EOE Employer and also only employs individuals authorized
to work in the U.S.