[eDebate] Northwestern Tourney Update #4

Scott Deatherage lsd041
Fri Feb 9 17:21:10 CST 2007

You should probably check your e-mail throughout the evening.  I will
likely post other items as they occur to me.  For now:

    * SATURDAY BUILDING SET-UP:  THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT -- PLEASE READ
CAREFULLY.  We are essentially running two independent tournament
centers on Saturday.  We have enough room on the DePaul campus for
124 teams; the remainder (approximately 32 teams) will debate at the
hotel.  The presets work in a "cell" formation, meaning that teams
should not have to move buildings through the first four
debates.  That said, DePaul and the tournament hotel are a 10 minute
drive apart.  It is entirely possible -- even likely -- that schools
with multiple team entries will have some of their teams at one
tournament center and other teams at the other tournament
center.  This is a little less than optimal, but the alternative
would have been to turn away 32 teams (or 40 teams at the time we
made this decision).  We are quite experienced at running tournaments
with substantial geographic separation.  In Evanston, it's about a 10
minute drive from the northern most building to the southernmost
building, so we've pulled it off more than once.  We will work
energetically and eagerly to provide a quality tournament experience
for everyone.  All debates will be at DePaul on Sunday.
    * TOPIC COMMITTEE OPEN FORUM:  The topic committee invites your
input about potential topics for next season.  They will host an open
forum in the Superior Room on the first floor of the hotel from 6
p.m. to 8 p.m.  Please join them and share your input or otherwise
save your complaints if you don't like the next topic!!!
    * PRESET PAIRINGS:  Preset pairings will be released at
registration on Friday.  They will also be posted to edebate.
    * TOURNAMENT REGISTRATION:  Registration is from 7 p.m. until 10
p.m. on Friday at Timothy O'Tool's Irish Pub.  O'Tool's is just
across Fairbanks Street, right outside the side door of the hotel.
    * PEOPLE MOVING:  Shuttle buses will be available at 7:15 a.m. on
Saturday and 6:45 a.m. on Sunday.  Yellow school buses will be on the
side of the hotel (Fairbanks Street).
    * BUILDING SET-UP AT DEPAUL:  Fully half of the debates will be
in a building complex composed of three inner-connected
buildings:  Schmidtt Academic Center, O'Connell Hall, and Levan
Center.  Other buildings on the DePaul campus that we are using
include:  McGaw Hall, 900 West Fullerton Building, 1150 West
Fullerton Building, Byrne Hall, and Munroe Hall.  We STRONGLY
ENCOURAGE you to spend some quality time studying the map of the
Lincoln Park campus of DePaul found at
<http://www.depaul.edu/maps/lpc/>http://www.depaul.edu/maps/lpc/.
    * DIRECTIONS TO DEPAUL:  We will provide maps and directions to
get you from the tournament hotel to the DePaul campus.  If you
research your own map, we STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you to use Google
maps.  DO NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT use Map Quest.  The directions on Map
Quest are DEAD LETTER WRONG.
    * PARKING AT THE HOTEL:  Your registration packet will include a
host of parking options near the hotel.  All are expensive.  Still,
you may need the list because the hotel is at 100% capacity for the
weekend.  Accordingly, they fear that the self park garage appended
to the hotel may be full at times.  The Hotel garage does offer in
and out privileges for each 24 hour period.  Most of the other near
by options do NOT offer such an option.  The surface lot on the
northwest corner of of the intersection of Ohio and Fairbanks is the
cheapest option at $19.  That lot can facilitate 15 passenger vans.
    * PARKING AT DEPAUL:  Parking is available in two locations.  The
Sheffield Parking Garage located on Sheffield Avenue just  south of
Fullerton Avenue.  The Clifton Parking Deck is on Clifton Avenue just
south of Fullerton Avenue.  The Sheffield Parking Garage is
convenient to the following buildings:  990 West Fullerton Building,
McGaw Hall, Schmidtt Academic Center, O'Connell Hall, Levan Center,
and Byrne Hall.  The Clifton Parking Deck is convenient to the
following:  Schmidtt Academic Center, O'Connell Hall, Levan Center,
and the 1150 Fullerton Building, and Munroe Hall.  We have arranged
for a "Special Event" discount of $6 per day at these
facilities.  Just tell the attendant that you are with the debate
tournament when you exit the garage to receive the special
rate.  There are no in and out privileges at these garages.
    * ROOMING LIST FOR THE HOTEL:  If you have not yet provided the
hotel with a rooming list for those in your party, they would still
appreciate having one.  They report that very few schools have
complied with their request.  It will be easier for guests to recover
replace their lost room keys if their names are in the hotel computer.
    * DINNER PARTY!!!  The Original Gino's East of Chicago has moved
back to its original location on Superior Street, a short two blocks
from the tournament hotel.  We have again rented the entire
restaurant on Sunday evening for a post-prelim gala and
celebration.  Their famous Chicago Style stuffed pizza is truly
unique from any other style of stuffed pizza you have
encountered.  It will be fun!!!