[eDebate] Madison Cup Invite

Mikedavis13 at aol.com Mikedavis13
Fri Feb 16 09:48:52 CST 2007

You are cordially invited to the James Madison  University campus to judge
the 2007 "James Madison Commemorative Debate and Citizen Forum."  This is the
fifth annual "Madison Cup  Debates," which takes place in conjunction with our
university?s annual  celebration of James Madison's birthday.  In only a short
time the ?Madison Cup Debates? has become a noteworthy  and significant
event on the national debate competition scene.  This year it will take place on
Wednesday, March 14, 2007.
Our annual Madison Day Debates continue to grow.  This year?s field will
include as many  as 24 teams, who will be traveling from as far away as
California.  This year?s participants include: UVA,  Princeton, Johns Hopkins, Wake
Forest, Cornell, William and Mary,  Claremont, Richmond, Liberty, George Mason,
and of course JMU?to  name only a few.
The undergraduate student debaters will be competing for the Madison Cup,
and $15,000.00 in Scholarship prizes.
This  year the debate topic is: Resolved "That our nation needs Affirmative
Action now more than  ever."
We hope that you are free to join us on Wed. March 14.  We have two rounds of
debate on Wed.  morning at 8:30AM, and 11:00AM (each should last about 2
hours).  The debates are in Taylor Hall (4th  Floor?look for our registration
table).  Parking permits will be arranged for those without permits?just let me
know if you need one.  Coffee and  snacks will be provided.
No special "debate" expertise is required or expected of judges.  These are
"public debates," that is,  they are designed to be a real public forum?
students and other audience members  are encouraged to come and speak their mind at
the conclusion of the  debates.  All that is required of  judges is to evaluate
the debaters based on the quality of their  argumentation.  In other words,
to  select and rank teams based on your perception of their debating skills?not
on  your personal beliefs?and to offer a brief amount of feedback to the
students  involved.  We will not ask you to  announce your decisions, just offer a
bit of constructive criticism, positive  feedback, and thoughtful commentary
on the debate.
We will have "jury instructions" for all the jury members on the day of  the
event.
If you would like to join us, or just help us out by serving on a jury at
8:30 am, 11:00 am or both, please let me know ASAP.
Based on our conversations with last year?s volunteers, we believe that  all
the judges who participated really enjoyed themselves.  We hope you will too.

Sincerely,
Pete Bsumek, Dir. of the Madison Cup Debates and the Madison Day  Committee.
Mike Davis, Dir. of JMU Debate and the Madison Day  Committee.
PS:  We would also love to see you, your  friends and family, or even your
students at the final round on Wed. evening at  5PM in the Wilson Hall Theater.
So  if you know anyone who might be interested in the debate, please let him
or her  know about the event.  It might even  be a worthwhile extra credit
assignment for some of your classes.