[eDebate] Actual Madison Cup Invite

Mikedavis13 at aol.com Mikedavis13
Fri Feb 16 14:20:35 CST 2007

Pete says I sent the judge invite. If anyone wants to come judge that one  is
for you.

Here is the actual invite:

January  16, 2007
On behalf  of the James Madison Center and JMU Debate we are pleased and
excited to invite  you to compete for the Madison Cup at the fifth annual ?James
Madison  Commemorative Debate and Citizens Forum? on Wednesday March 14, 2007.
The James  Madison Commemorative Debate and Citizens Forum is a unique
inter-collegiate  debate competition, which combines the excitement and challenge of
tournament  competition with the relevance and empowerment of a public
audience and audience  participation.   It is also one  of the showcase events of
our university?s James Madison Day Celebration.
2007  Topic: Resolved: ?that our nation needs Affirmative  Action now more
than ever."
Other cool  and unique features:
*$10,000.00 in prize money
*Debating and competing in front of public audiences
*No entry fees
*Continental breakfast, snacks and lunch provided
*Video web-cast
*Great PR for your debate program
*Bibliography: we?ll have a resource web page up by mid-February
More cool stuff:  This year?s ?Madison Cup Debates?  are part of a semester
long, campus wide project designed to encourage difficult  discussions related
to topics of race, ethnicity, gender, and identity. These  events were kicked
off with Cornell West?s Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Address,  and will
conclude with an undergraduate conference entitled, ?Figuring Culture:
Communication, Aesthetics and  Identity.?
The tournament details are enclosed with this letter.  If you should have any
questions, please  do not hesitate to contact us.
We look forward to hosting you in March!
Mike Davis, Ph. D.                                                       Pete
Bsumek, Ph.D.
Director of Debate
Director, Madison Cup Debates
School of Comm. Studies                                             School of
Comm. Studies
James  Madison University                                             James
Madison University
(O) 540-568-7308                                                       (O)
540-568-3386
(E-mail)  _davismk at jmu.edu_ (mailto:davismk at jmu.edu)
                  (E-mail) _bsumekpk at jmu.edu_ (mailto:bsumekpk at jmu.edu)
Background: Timed to coincide with James Madison  University's yearly
celebration of James Madison's birthday in mid-March, ?The James Madison
Commemorative Debate and Citizen Forum? centers on an important question facing
American democracy. Last year debaters argued both sides of the topic; Resolved "That
 the theory of Intelligent Design (in both its historical and its
contemporary  versions) has a proper role in America?s High School biology  courses."
The James Madison  Center at James Madison University sponsors the event in
the  spirit of James Madison's ideal that a republican democracy is healthy
only when  informed and civil debate thrives. The final round will be broadcast
live on the  World Wide Web.  Last year?s debate  featured teams from Baptist
Bible College, Brown University, Claremont Colleges, College of William and
Mary, Cornell University, George  Mason University, Georgetown University, James
Madison  University, Liberty University, Pepperdine University, Rochester
University, Towson University, University of  Mary Washington, University of
Notre Dame, University of Pittsburgh, University of Richmond, University of
Virginia, Wake Forest  University, and Yale University.
2007 Topic:  Resolved: ?that our nation needs Affirmative Action  now more
than ever."
Eligible Participants:  Each school may enter one two-person  team.  The
debate is open to  undergraduate students who are in good standing at their
respective  institutions.  Second teams will be  considered on a case-by-case basis,
if space permits.
Competition Format:  The debate uses a ?long table?  format.  This is a
public debate.   Last year there was an  audience of around 500 people for the
final round, preliminary rounds were  smaller (audiences of 20-30 people).   The ?
long table? format features  three (two person) teams on each side of the
question.  Speeches start with the affirmative and  alternate between the
affirmative and negative throughout the debate.  Teams are randomly assigned to sides
and  speaker positions.  In other words,  if a team is selected to be the
first affirmative, they will give the first two  affirmative speeches in the
debate.  The first and last speeches on each side of the question are
uninterruptible.  Any member of the  opposing team may interrupt the speeches in the
middle of the debate in order to  ask the speaker to yield to a question.
Speakers are not required to answer these questions (although not  answering
questions may cause the audience to think that the speaker is  ?dodgy?).  Please see
the example  format below for more information.  You can view last year?s
final round at: http://www.jmu.edu/orgs/debate/madisonCup/index.html
Jury Adjudication Procedure:  A three to seven member panel, or jury,  will
adjudicate the debate.  Juries  will be comprised of local residents, students,
professors, distinguished JMU  alumni, and special invited guests.  At the
completion of the debate, the panel will adjourn to discuss,  deliberate and
decide upon the winners as a group.  The jury votes for (2-person) teams, not
sides of the question.  In other  words, first place could go to an affirmative
team, while second place could be  awarded to a negative team.  This year we
will institutionalize jury  feedback for the participants.
Tournament  Procedures:
*Number of rounds: This year we will  offer two preliminary rounds of debate
and one final round.
*Switch side debate: Each team will  debate once on the affirmative and once
on the negative.
*Side  & position:  Sides (affirmative  or negative), and positions (first
affirmative team, first negative team, second  affirmative team, etc) for the
preliminary debates will be determined by random  drawing.
*Judging:  Judges will rank teams 1-6 in each preliminary debate, and assign
each team  quality points based on a thirty-point scale  (1-30).
*Advancing to the final round: The six teams with the lowest total ranks
will advance to the final round.  Quality points will be used to break ties.
*Sides  and Speaking Positions in the final round:  Sides and speaking
positions in the final round will be based on seeding  after the preliminary rounds.
 For  example, the first seeded team will choose their ?side and position,?
then the  second seed will choose ?side and position,? and so on.
Public Participation:  While the jury deliberates, the floor  will be opened
for audience comments and speeches.  An award for the best floor speech will
be presented.  Local newspapers,  politicians, and the general public are
invited.
Awards:  The first place team will leave with the  Madison Cup?a very nice
traveling trophy. Once again this year there is a  $10,000.00 purse of prize
money.  All participants in the final round will be recognized with awards.
Prize money will be awarded as follows:
1st place: $5000.00 donation to your debate  program
2nd place: $2500.00 donation to your debate  program
3rd place: $1000.00 donation to your debate  program
4th-6th place: $500.00 donation to your debate  program
Entry:  There are no entry fees. We can  accommodate a field of 24 teams.
Entry is on a first come, first serve basis.  The first 18 teams to enter are
guaranteed a spot in the field, after that we will accept teams, if we can
generate a field divisible by 4 or 6.  Deadline for entry is March  3.  This is
necessary so we can  determine how many debates there will be in each round.
Send school info, team info (first and  last names of debaters) and requests
for additional teams to:  Dr. Mike Davis,  <davismk at jmu.edu>
Lodging: We  have reserved a block of hotel rooms at the newly renovated Best
Western Inn of  Harrisonburg (formerly the Guest House Inn).  The Best
Western Inn is located at exit 247A off of I-81.  Go east on Highway 33?the hotel
is on  the right side of the road.  The  phone number for the Best Western is
540-433-6089.  The rate for 1-4 people per room is  $51.00 + tax.  This special
tournament rate will be  available until March 3.  When  calling the Best
Western Inn please ask for Gini Boyers, and mention that you  are attending the
Madison Cup debates at JMU.
Travel:  James Madison  University is located in Harrisonburg, VA, which is
two hours southwest of Washington, D.C. on I-81.  If you plan to fly consider
Dullas and  Washington National/Reagan Airports in Washington  DC (2 hours
away), Richmond airport (2 hours away), Charlottesville airport (one hour away)
and the Shenandoah Regional Airport (15 minutes away).  We will arrange
transport from  Shenandoah and Charlottesville, we?ll do are best to work with  you
from the others.
Schedule:
Wednesday March 14, 2007:  James Madison Commemorative Debate and  Citizens
Forum
8:00  AM  registration and  Announcements
8:30 AM:  Preliminary debate round 1
11:00 AM  Preliminary debate round 2
1:30 PM  Lunch
2:30 PM:  Madison Day Address (participants recognized and finalists
announced)
5:000 PM:  Final round (presentation of the Madison Cup)
Example Debate  Format: The 2004 final round proceeded as follows.
1st Affirmative Speech (Wake Forest #1): (4 minutes)  uninterrupted
1st Negative Speech (George Mason #1): (4 minutes)  uninterrupted
2nd Affirmative Speech (Wake Forest  #2): (5 minutes):  The first and last
minute of the speech  are uninterruptible.  In the  2nd-4th minutes of the
speech any opposition debater may  ask the speaker to yield to a question.  The
speaker may accept, or decline the question.
2nd Negative Speech (George Mason #2): (5 minutes): The first  and last
minute of the speech are uninterruptible.  In the 2nd-4th  minutes of the speech
any opposition debater may ask the speaker to yield to a  question.  The speaker
may accept,  or decline the question.
3rd Affirmative Speech (Georgetown # 1): (5 minutes): The first and  last
minute of the speech are uninterruptible.  In the 2nd-4th  minutes of the speech
any opposition debater may ask the speaker to yield to a  question.  The
speaker may accept,  or decline the question.
3rd Negative Speech (James Madison #1): (5 minutes): The first  and last
minute of the speech are uninterruptible.  In the 2nd-4th  minutes of the speech
any opposition debater may ask the speaker to yield to a  question.  The
speaker may accept,  or decline the question.
4th Affirmative Speech (Georgetown #2): (5 minutes) The first and last
minute of the speech are uninterruptible.  In the 2nd-4th minutes of the speech any
opposition  debater may ask the speaker to yield to a question.  The speaker
may accept, or decline the  question.
4th Negative Speech (James Madison #2): (5 minutes) The first  and last
minute of the speech are uninterruptible.  In the 2nd-4th  minutes of the speech
any opposition debater may ask the speaker to yield to a  question.  The speaker
may accept,  or decline the question.
5th Affirmative Speech (Mary Washington #1):  (5 minutes) The first and last
minute of  the speech are uninterruptible.  In  the 2nd-4th minutes of the
speech any opposition debater  may ask the speaker to yield to a question.  The
speaker may accept, or decline the  question.
5th Negative Speech (Towson #1): The first and last minute of the  speech are
uninterruptible.  In the  2nd-4th minutes of the speech any opposition
debater may  ask the speaker to yield to a question.  The speaker may accept, or
decline the question.
6th Affirmative Speech (Mary Washington #2):  (4 minutes) Uninterrupted
6th Negative Speech (Towson University #2):  (4 minutes) Uninterrupted