[eDebate] Northwestern Tourney Update #4

Danielle Wiese danielle.wiese
Fri Feb 9 20:58:42 CST 2007

You should probably check your e-mail throughout the evening.  I will likely
post other items as they occur to me.  For now:

   - *SATURDAY BUILDING SET-UP:  THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT -- PLEASE READ
   CAREFULLY.*  We are essentially running two independent tournament
   centers on Saturday.  We have enough room on the DePaul campus for 124
   teams; the remainder (approximately 32 teams) will debate at the hotel.  The
   presets work in a "cell" formation, meaning that teams should not have to
   move buildings through the first four debates.  That said, DePaul and the
   tournament hotel are a 10 minute drive apart.  It is entirely possible --
   even likely -- that schools with multiple team entries will have some of
   their teams at one tournament center and other teams at the other tournament
   center.  This is a little less than optimal, but the alternative would have
   been to turn away 32 teams (or 40 teams at the time we made this decision).
   We are quite experienced at running tournaments with substantial geographic
   separation.  In Evanston, it's about a 10 minute drive from the
   northern most building to the southernmost building, so we've pulled it off
   more than once.  We will work energetically and eagerly to provide a quality
   tournament experience for everyone.  All debates will be at DePaul on
   Sunday.

   - *TOPIC COMMITTEE OPEN FORUM:  *The topic committee invites your
   input about potential topics for next season.  They will host an open forum
   in the Superior Room on the first floor of the hotel from 6 p.m. to 8
   p.m.  Please join them and share your input or otherwise save your
   complaints if you don't like the next topic!!!* *

   - *PRESET PAIRINGS:  *Preset pairings will be released at registration
   on Friday.  They will also be posted to edebate.

   - *TOURNAMENT REGISTRATION:  *Registration is from 7 p.m. until 10 p.m.
   on Friday at Timothy O'Tool's Irish Pub.  O'Tool's is just across Fairbanks
   Street, right outside the side door of the hotel.

   - *PEOPLE MOVING:  *Shuttle buses will be available at 7:15 a.m. on
   Saturday and 6:45 a.m. on Sunday.  Yellow school buses will be on the
   side of the hotel (Fairbanks Street).  **

   - *BUILDING SET-UP AT DEPAUL:  *Fully half of the debates will be in a
   building complex composed of three inner-connected buildings:
   Schmidtt Academic Center, O'Connell Hall, and Levan Center.  Other
   buildings on the DePaul campus that we are using include:  McGaw Hall, 900
   West Fullerton Building, 1150 West Fullerton Building, Byrne Hall, and
   Munroe Hall.  We *STRONGLY ENCOURAGE* you to spend some quality time
   studying the map of the Lincoln Park campus of DePaul found at
   http://www.depaul.edu/maps/lpc/.

   - *DIRECTIONS TO DEPAUL:  *We will provide maps and directions to get
   you from the tournament hotel to the DePaul campus.  If you research your
   own map, we *STRONGLY ENCOURAGE* you to use Google maps.  *DO NOT NOT
   NOT NOT NOT use Map Quest.  The directions on Map Quest are DEAD LETTER
   WRONG.*

   - *PARKING AT THE HOTEL:  *Your registration packet will include a
   host of parking options near the hotel.  All are expensive.  Still, you may
   need the list because the hotel is at 100% capacity for the weekend.
   Accordingly, they fear that the self park garage appended to the hotel may
   be full at times.  The Hotel garage does offer in and out privileges for
   each 24 hour period.  Most of the other near by options do NOT offer such an
   option.  The surface lot on the northwest corner of of the intersection of
   Ohio and Fairbanks is the cheapest option at $19.  That lot can
   facilitate 15 passenger vans.

   - *PARKING AT DEPAUL:  *Parking is available in two locations.  The
   Sheffield Parking Garage located on Sheffield Avenue just  south of
Fullerton
   Avenue.  The Clifton Parking Deck is on Clifton Avenue just south
of Fullerton
   Avenue.  The Sheffield Parking Garage is convenient to the following
   buildings:  990 West Fullerton Building, McGaw Hall, Schmidtt Academic
   Center, O'Connell Hall, Levan Center, and Byrne Hall.  The Clifton
   Parking Deck is convenient to the following:  Schmidtt Academic Center,
   O'Connell Hall, Levan Center, and the 1150 Fullerton Building, and
   Munroe Hall.  We have arranged for a "Special Event" discount of $6 per day
   at these facilities.  Just tell the attendant that you are with the debate
   tournament when you exit the garage to receive the special rate.  There are
   no in and out privileges at these garages.  **

   - *ROOMING LIST FOR THE HOTEL:  *If you have not yet provided the
   hotel with a rooming list for those in your party, they would still
   appreciate having one.  They report that very few schools have complied with
   their request.  It will be easier for guests to recover replace their lost
   room keys if their names are in the hotel computer.

   - *DINNER PARTY!!!  *The Original Gino's East of Chicago has moved
   back to its original location on Superior Street, a short two blocks
   from the tournament hotel.  We have again rented the entire restaurant on
   Sunday evening for a post-prelim gala and celebration.  Their famous Chicago
   Style stuffed pizza is truly unique from any other style of stuffed pizza
   you have encountered.  It will be fun!!!