[eDebate] [CEDA-L] Topic Process Reminder - 10 days until area/controversypaper deadline

Gordon Stables stables
Tue Feb 20 15:55:23 CST 2007

Jim's insights are always very much appreciated.

I would note two details that folks should consider.

1) Any amendments to the CEDA topic process require amending CEDA's
rules. The current rules specify a number of deadlines that the
committee uses. Any such change to this process must come from the
membership and be approved as with any legislative reform. This is not
an item the topic committee can address directly. I would just ask that
legislative reforms of this nature consider the whole process, including
the sequencing of summer meetings, announce date, etc. The committee
must work within the procedures established by the CEDA membership so a
clear system is essential.

2) We have moved this year to provide additional guidance in the first
balloting. The introduction of the concept of controversy papers and the
effort to phase out 'area' papers is a reflection that schools should
have some greater sense of what these potential topics included. I would
not say that we are mandating specific resolutions, as Jim suggests, but
we are looking for factors (like directionality and type of reforms)
that would be common to resolutions in that paper. The basic approach is
we had a lot of confusion as to what 'China' meant, but we would have
less confusion if the first ballot addressed 'reducing US trade deficit
with China.' The later is still too vague to be a final resolution, but
it provides additional insight to voters as they consider their options.

I have tried to explain this in the public meetings and on the topic
site. If you would like further clarification, please review the new
guidelines for controversy papers at the topic site. Specifically, those
guidelines are linked at  http://www.cedatopic.com/controversy.html

Gordon

Gordon Stables, Ph.D.

Director of Debate

Annenberg School for Communication

University of Southern California

Office: 213 740 2759               Fax: 213 740 3913

http://usctrojandebate.com
 <http://usctrojandebate.com>