[eDebate] Binghamton Invite

joe schatz sailorferrets
Wed Jan 17 15:47:30 CST 2007

The Nineteenth Annual Forensics Festivals Invite
2/10/07-2/11/07

AWARDS: Unfortunately do to administrative issues we will no longer be
able to donate money to non-profit organizations for awards. However,
we will provide unique and interesting awards that will make any
debater proud to take home in order to make up for it. We will
continue to sell kiss-o-grams, love-o-grams, and run penny wars
between attending Universities. All money raised from these activities
will be donated to a non-profit organization that will be announced as
the tournament approaches. So, in short, please still encourage your
debates to bring spare money in order to help out this organization
and enjoy our between-round activities. We will still give awards to
squads with the most school spirit as we have in past years.

DIVISIONS: In order to promote novice debate and in order to offer all
three divisions, while we will abide by CEDA eligibility guidelines,
we strongly convince you to register debaters as follows: Novice
debaters should include students who are in there first semester of
competition so that newly joining debaters aren't tournaments behind
more advanced novice debaters. We ask all debaters that have either
three tournaments of experience or have advanced in elimination rounds
to register in the JV bracket. We ask all debaters who are in their
second year or more of policy experience, and have advanced to
elimination rounds at least once, enter the Open division, which
welcomes more experienced debaters as well. The more teams the more
money can be raised and the bigger the donation your team can claim if
you win. The novice division will host 5 rounds with one educational
round to watch, while the JV and Open divisions will have the full 6
rounds. The hope in doing this is to promote continual participation
and education of new novices as well as allow more experienced
debaters to push themselves to their limits by debating up, which is
another excellent means of learning how to debate. In the event we
cannot break all brackets to at least semifinals we will collapse the
JV and Open bracket but we hope this will not be the case.

NOW THE NORMAL INFO:

Registration: $85 per team (but in the spirit of new organizations,
all student run teams will have their registration fees waived, with
the encouragement to be extra active in the other fundraising events,
which will have awards as well)

Uncovered Team: $100 ($200 for full obligation, this however cannot be
waived); we encourage schools to bring extra judges if possible.

Entries should be done on debateresults.com or sent to Joe Schatz at
sailorferrets at gmail.com, with a cc sent to
bsdeboard at listserv.binghamton.edu. They can also be phoned in to Joe
at 607-765-3659. We will be accepting registration up until the
Thursday (2/8/07) before the tournament at 6pm. Any changes after that
time should be phoned in immediately. Entries should include names of
debaters and which divisions, as well as a list of judges.

Hotel Information:

Holiday Inn ? University, Vestal NY is directly across the street from
the University. A mere hop, skip, and/or jump from the tournament.
Reservations can be place by calling the Holiday Inn at 607-729-6371.

Alternative accommodations can be made at the Skylark Motor Lodge at a
cheaper rate. It's located about five minutes away from campus on the
same road as University (Rt 434). Reservations can be made by calling
607-748-3392.

Schedule:

We advocate reasonable starting times for debates to allow for
coaching and still run a punctual tournament. Rounds will NOT run
late, and all WILL be pleased. We have no delusion on getting out
late, and we will provide snacks throughout so no one will starve.
Anyone who has medical reasons for needing to consume flesh will be
accommodated if specified at the time of registration. Any other
allergies or medical dietary needs will be met as well.

Fri, February 10th

8:00-10:00pm Early registration at Holiday Inn, confirmations can also
be phoned into Joe still at 607-765-3659.

Sat, February 11th

6:45am-7:25am Late Registration
7:30am Pairings for Round 1 & 2
8:00am-10:15am Round 1
10:45am-1:00pm Round 2
1:00pm-2:00pm Lunch
2:00pm Pairings for Round 3 & 4
2:30pm-4:45pm Round 3
5:15pm-7:30pm Round 4
7:45pm Pairings for Round 5
8:15pm-10:30pm Round 5 (JV & Open, Novice Watch)

Sun, February 12th

7:00am Pairings
7:30am-10:00am Round 5 (Novice), Round 6 (JV & Open)
10:30am Pairings for first elimination round released
11:15am-1:30pm First elimination round
1:30pm-2:30pm Awards & Lunch
3:15-5:30pm Second elimination round
6:15-8:15pm Third elimination round
8:45-11:00pm Fourth elimination round (If needed, if not we'll start
the day later)

Directions:

Binghamton University is located one mile west of the city of
Binghamton (in Vestal) and is a short drive from major urban centers
in New York and neighboring states. A number of bus companies serve
the area, and the Binghamton Regional Airport provides major airline
service.

Follow 81 North or South to 17 West, toward Elmira, get off at exit
70S, heading towards "Binghamton Univ." Construction has changed the
nature of what happens next this year so pay attention. You should
stay in the left lanes and take the skyway over the traffic circle,
which will put you on the Fredrick Johnson Bridge (201S).

To hotel: take the second exit (434 East) and the Holiday Inn will be
on your right and the University on your left. Take your first right
and turn into the parking lot, or continue down 434 East for several
miles until the Skylark on your left near a Burger King, Vestal High
School, and the Skylark Diner.

To campus: take the third and final exist (434 West). Stay in the
right lane that will put you on campus. You'll hit traffic circle. You
want to take the circle but stay to your right and not veer off
entirely by simply going right. If you've done the maneuver correctly
you'll pass a parking garage on your right. Continue to follow the
road until it puts you in front of a whole bunch of parking meters,
which will happen after it makes you veer right. Meter parking is free
on weekends and the Fine Arts building is right in front of you.
Registration is on the second floor. Signs should be posted around
campus to make this process easier for you.

Hotel to campus: turn left coming out onto 434 at the intersection
with Denny's, then turn right onto campus at the next traffic light
and follow above directions.

Hope to see you all in Feb!

joe schatz
director of debate at binghamton university
campaigns coordinator of the binghamton/vestal vegan association