[eDebate] CEDA Topic Selection Process Update

Gordon Stables stables
Sat Jan 20 01:32:35 CST 2007

I would like to keep the CEDA community updated on the status of efforts
to develop the 2007-08 CEDA topic and ask for additional community
input. This email will attempt to summarize the highlights, but I
encourage you to check the topic website www.cedatopic.com for
additional information.

-- List of topics being researched
Work is ongoing on a number of different areas and potential topics by
members of the CEDA Topic Selection Committee and community volunteers.
The slate of potential topics, first discussed in Kansas City last
summer, has been updated to reflect new ideas,new volunteers, and
several draft papers. The list is available at
http://www.cedatopic.com/0708topic.html  You will notice that we now
have draft versions of genetic engineering as well as a genocide paper.
Thanks to Scott Elliott and Kelly Young for their work in these areas.

To remind everyone, this is NOT an exclusive list. Any topic may be
submitted for consideration. If you have an idea that you would like to
see developed, please let me know. We have already added the
nonproliferation area this year and willing to see other new topics.

-- Rough drafts
Due to the unique challenges posed by writing such a paper I would
invite anyone to submit papers to myself and the committee by February
10, 2007 for feedback. The papers are not due to the committee until
March 1, but we hope to be able to address concerns and potential
questions for each paper in advance of the deadline.

-- Guidelines for Papers
One of my major points of emphasis this year is to move our focus away
from 'areas' that may be more ambiguous toward specific controversies. A
full list of guidelines is available at
http://www.cedatopic.com/controversy.html
Papers should be submitted to me no later than March 1, 2007 for
consideration on the ballot. Papers that are incomplete (i.e., fail to
meet the basic criteria) will be subject to potential exclusion from the
ballot. This requirement is designed to help ensure that the topic
options are selected from those who are well-considered. We will be
working quickly to produce a slate of controversies in early March and
these guidelines will help us navigate this process.

-- Forums for Community Input
I will keep the community updated about other potential open meetings on
the topic. Community input on any paper can be submitted via the topic
website or blog or directly by email. There is an open thread on the
topic blog http://blog.cedatopic.com/ specifically devoted to the
upcoming topic, so feel free to leave comments. There will also be a
meeting at CEDA Nationals and perhaps an earlier session in February.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Thanks.
Gordon Stables
Chair - CEDA Topic Selection Committee
--

Gordon Stables, Ph.D.

Director of Debate

Annenberg School for Communication

University of Southern California

Office: 213 740 2759               Fax: 213 740 3913

http://usctrojandebate.com
 <http://usctrojandebate.com>