[eDebate] Topics and new programs

Mike Davis davismk13
Tue Jul 17 09:25:39 CDT 2007

It's amazing to me how there can be hundreds of posts saying the exact same
thing (with no proof from wither side) about the topic process/wording, but
when CEDA institutes a program to encourage new and emerging debate teams no
one is interested. I sent out a post asking people to volunteer if they are
interested in starting new debate programs and I received a total of three
serious e-mails from people willing to start programs. Luckily the people
who were interested are willing to put in the effort to start new programs
and we should have about a dozen (could be as many as 40 is a few things go
the right way) up and running by the Fall. Imagine how much more successful
this effort could be if just a few more people would agree to participate.

I know this is probably falling on deaf ears because it is easier to spend
time complaining about the system (or defending the system) that it is to
work to create a network of strong regional debate. Just like the backfile
project whenever people talk about projects to help new programs people say
they are a great idea, but are not willing to actually put in the work to
make them a reality.

--
Dr. Michael Davis
Director of Debate/Assistant Professor