[eDebate] to be more blunt

Alfred Snider alfred.snider
Tue Jul 17 12:17:17 CDT 2007

Evidence?

I have one of the largest policy debate teams in America. I emphasize
training new debaters and our success in the last few years at the
novice and jv levels shows we do it well.

These resolutions are driving us out. Keep it up and there will be no
policy debate in Vermont, along with Maine.

If I cannot have a novice-friendly topic, I gotta go. I left NDT because
it was novice-unfriendly and went to CEDA way back when. Later I
sponsored the motion that allowed us to debate the same topic. I thought
it was going to work, but it simply isn't working. These topics are a
nightmare for recruiting novices.

At least six schools have spoken to me recently about this, but I will
not name them out of courtesy.

I think it may be time to sever the link between CEDA and the NDT. I was
the sponsor of the motion that gave us a shared topic. I feel like I
ought to now go the other way and say we should go back to having a CEDA
resolution that is not necessarily policy and maybe even back to one
topic each semester. How about something without the USFG as the actor?
How about something that gives aff some flexibility to establish their
advocacy? How about a topic that people would be willing to follow into
debates?

I am very close to proposing such a motion to the CEDA membership.

Who would come with me? Probably quite a few schools, but not so many on
this list. Does it matter? No, not if we can take back some of the
programs we have lost to parli, nfa-ld and other forms of debate such as
WUDC, etc. I just want something friendly for novice debaters.

I will tell the kind of topic I would approve of. The last time I was
chair of the topic committee we produced:
Resolved: that the United States should substantially change its foreign
policy towards Mexico. We had a nice year, no problem with researching
cases, people could develop a sense of real advocacy. SIU won that CEDA
nationals, and now they are gone from policy debate.

Consider it.

Tuna

--
Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna