[eDebate] To be blunt

Eric Wendell Marlow emarlow
Tue Jul 17 15:33:45 CDT 2007

I almost never chime in on these things, but I think that more voices
need to be heard.  Maybe if those of us who are generally silent speak
up, our opinions will be taken more seriously.

Jackie is right...the resolutions do kill novice participation.  Trying
to balance a topic competitively for the top 16 teams in the country on
the last day of the NDT is a useless model if it costs our community 50
novice teams a year.  Compare these resolutions to something simple
like Resolved that advertising degrades the quality of life in the US.
I remember Jarman having cards that said almost those exact words in
his billboards aff.  I dare anyone to find anything remotely close to
the wording of any of these resolutions in the actual literature.

Josh's proposals fail.  He remembers these things being tried in the
past.  There is a reason they are only memories...because each and
every one of them failed; in some cases they didn't even last out the
year that they were created.  Creating more elitism in the community
isn't going to solve the fact that we are tacitly or openly supporting
a system of privilege.

Matt's proposal fails.  I have nothing but the highest amount of
respect for the cooperative and the endless amount of time and energy
Matt puts into it, but the cooperative has not produced one program
that has been successful in the elitist structure that would not have
been successful anyway.  I feel Matt on the issue of debate and life
privilege being distinct, but nothing in our activity can contribute to
that debate privilege.  How many first rounders in the last five years
actually were only privileged by debate and not life?  Our system, even
with cooperatives, still favors those who are privileged in life
outside of debate.

Tuna is right.  It is time for the merger to end.  In our need to prove
that CEDA was as good as NDT, we committed to this course of action.
It has proved foolhardy.  We have crushed our regional strengths,
reduced our regional tournaments to mere sidenotes on the NDT schedule,
watched our membership steadily decline each year, and watched
divisions shrink until they no longer exist in many tournaments.  Some
will say it is too late to go back, but those are the same voices that
advocate this elitist domination of debate.  In order to be seen as
equal to the NDT community, we tore down our big tent and made some of
our oldest members relocate to other homes.  Time to put the tent back
up and open the circus again.  Tuna issues a warning in hopes that
people will listen, I guess I am a little more cynical because I know
his plea will fall on deaf ears.  My opinion isn't just based on
nostalgia...Neil's statistics support several of my conclusions.

How many more summers will we whine about this trainwreck of a topic
process in a broken structure before we choose to act?  I think that
the day of an NDT without enough participants is just around the
corner.  CEDA is still seen as second rate in the most elitist parts of
the community, so the approval we hoped for never emerged and never
will.  Witness the fact that of all the major CEDA tournaments that
consistently managed full double octs, many no longer exist and none
make doubles.  We would have been alot better off if we had been
satisfied with what we created and stopped measuring it against some
false ideal from which we could never achieve acceptance and respect.

Peace,
Marlow