[eDebate] Hanson/Mahoney Proposal

Stefan Bauschard SBauschard
Wed Jul 18 20:44:37 CDT 2007

I believe that when the NDT decided to debate the CEDA topic they passed a rule that said that they'd debate the CEDA topic IF CEDA chose a policy topic.  Otherwise, they would write their own policy topic.

Is my recollection correct?  Is this rule still in existence?

If I am right, allowing non-policy topics on the ballot through a more free-wheeled resolution writing process could allow the selection of a non-policy topic by CEDA (at least based on Jim's description of his proposal).

If this happened, one of two things would then have to happen:

a) The NDT would have to decide to not enforce this seemingly significant rule or
b) The NDT would have to write another policy topic, creating a split (and a mess, since it would be done on the fly).

My point is not to defend the policy-only topic rule or engage the discussion on a split/merger.  My point is that this matter needs to be given some consideration and perhaps some substantial consultation should occor between the respective bodies.