[eDebate] Help for my Masters Thesis

Peters Tammie L. tpeters
Thu Jul 19 17:02:05 CDT 2007

I am a high school teacher and debate coach nearly finished with my Master's Degree.  I am currently in my second-to-final class:  planning my thesis.  I am working on a study of how forensics participation (both debate and non-debate events) influence standardized test scores.  From what I've discovered so far, there is definitely a connection between high school forensics and test scores.

I am currently working on my Review of Literature.  Does anyone know of any studies that look at forensics or debate or speech education and standardized test scores, such as SAT or ACT scores?

I already have the article by Parcher about the intuitive connection between debate and critical thinking skills. I have the Wall Street Journal study about forensics participation and college admissions. I have the study by Linda Collier that connects UDL debate with higher reading scores. I have the book Gifted Tongues. However, none of these deal specifically with a connection to test scores, except a logical "this should happen" connection.

While there are many articles about a logical "this should be the case" connection, I am looking for studies that have actually compared test scores.  I would hate to miss something obvious.  If you can think of any studies I need to examine, please let me know.

Thanks for your help,
Tammie Peters