[eDebate] Ede, why sell out? Why not debate on our own terms?

Fri Jul 20 11:21:16 CDT 2007

Ede, why compromise. I was watching the original John Water's "Hairspray" this
morning. The American Bandstand type show had a great compromise for
integration--NEGRO THURSDAYS.

Your suggestion of a "topic light" so that CEDA programs can work within the NDT
oligarchy to me smacks of the creation of a Negro Thursdays form of debate
segregation.

Don't you see that your compromise merely entrenches the illusion that the top
ten NDT programs, the ones that dominate the NDT year after year, are somehow
"better" or "Whiter" than the rest of us Poor little debate schools.

I call bullshit on that. Your compromise will not do. We need to have debate on
OUR terms--not on Wake, Kentucky, and Harvard's terms.

The attempts to create NDT light is no better than trying "seperate but equal."

What benefit does your compromise serve? I think it only preserves a system of
exploitation. Why do you allow your commitment to the tradtions of NDT trump
the needs of your students and hundreds of other students who are facing
insurmaoutable barriers to particpation in college debate because of
NDT-centric policy debate?

The more direct solution, to bring CEDA back to it's mission as an orgnaization,
is to create a two topic per year system and to have at least one of those
topics be a non-policy resolution.

Scott