[eDebate] KENTUCKY HENRY CLAY DEBATES

JW Patterson jwpatt00
Fri Jul 20 11:27:42 CDT 2007

INVITATION

UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY

38th ANNUAL HENRY CLAY DEBATES

 October 6, 7, & 8 2007
(Saturday, Sunday, & Monday)
NEW TOURNAMENT HOTEL - ?RADISSON PLAZA HOTEL?
Located Downtown
Special Rate:  $95 per night, up to four people;
859-231-9000; Ask for reservations, then mention UK Debate

After 5:00 P.M. Call 800-333-3333
FREE PARKING! Including cars, vans and buses.
FREE WIRELESS INTERNET!

NOTE CAREFULLY THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION ABOUT THE TOURNAMENT HOTEL:

    1.  Once our block of rooms is filled, the hotel will take a waiting
list.  As cancellations come in, the hotel will go to the waiting list on a
first come first served basis honoring the tournament rate up to Wednesday,
October 3rd.

    2.   The hotel will assess one night?s lodging per room for
cancellations after Wednesday, October 3rd.

    3.   Fortunately, the Radisson is equipped with sixteen meeting rooms.

    4.  When calling for reservations, please ask for the University of
Kentucky Debate Tournament rates.

NOTE CAREFULLY THE FOLLOWING ABOUT TOURNAMENT PROCEDURES

    1.  E-mail entries only to jwpatt00 at uky.edu with a copy to Linda Barker
at  linda.barker at uky.edu; REMEMBER TO PLACE AN ASTERISK BY ANY TEAM
COMPETING FOR THE PRESEASON NOVICE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

    2.  A fee of $100/Team will be assessed for any drops after Wednesday,
October 3rd at 5 PM.

Dear Director of Debate:

This is your invitation to the 38th Annual University of Kentucky Henry Clay
Debates on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, October 6, 7, & 8, 2007.  The
Tournament will have one division: THE HENRY CLAY DEBATES (Varsity) plus
"THE PRE-SEASON NOVICE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP."

DATES:  Saturday, Sunday, and Monday,  October 6, 7, 8, 2007

FORMAT FOR THE HENRY CLAY DEBATES (VARSITY):  The format will consist of
eight preliminary rounds of switch-side, two-person teams debating the
2007-2008 topic.

RESERVATIONS FOR ANNA BELL?S

The restaurant is located in downtown Lexington across from the courthouse
on Upper Street, and features both European and American cuisine.

If you want to dine at "Anna Bell?s" during the Kentucky Tournament, you
should call immediately.  The phone number is (859)-381-0900.  THE
RESTAURANT ALWAYS FILLS  ON WEEKENDS SO PLEASE MAKE RESERVATIONS EARLY.

RESERVATIONS FOR HOLLY HILL INN

Ouita Papka, her husband Chris, and Roger Solt have a restaurant in Midway,
Kentucky called Holly Hill Inn. They are open Wednesday through Saturday
evening and Sunday for brunch. The food is superb.  Ouita changes the menu
frequently with creative dishes.  Call 859-846-4732 for reservations.  Let
them know you're with the debate tournament.  Please inquire at the
registration desk for directions to the Holly Hill Inn.

FULL DOUBLE-OCTAS

Should we have ninety or more teams, we will have double octas en-route to
the Sweet Sixteen.

FORMAT FOR THE PRE-SEASON NOVICE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

This event will be an elimination bracket probably beginning at the
quarter-final level, but could begin earlier or later depending on the
number of entries.  Even if we have a partial octofinal, we will work out a
scheme in which novices who participate in Varsity octofinals but
subsequently lose will be able to enter the elimination bracket at the
quarterfinal level. "Novice" will be defined as students who are debating
for the first time in college this year.  To be eligible for this division,
debaters must have first participated in the preliminary rounds of the Henry
Clay Varsity Debates.

TOURNAMENT PRACTICES:

        1. Rounds Per Day.  There will be four rounds held on Saturday and
Sunday, with elimination rounds on Monday.

        2. Procedure for Assigning Judges.  Judges will be assigned on a
selective procedure based on the input of the coaches.  Random assignments
will not be followed.

        3. Breaking Brackets.  We will continue the practice of not breaking
brackets in the elimination rounds.  Thus, teams from the same school will
meet if their numbers fall accordingly.

JUDGES:  Each school is expected to provide one judge per team. Accordingly,
a coach with one team will be expected to judge four rounds; plus at least
one elimination round.  A coach with two teams is expected to judge all
eight rounds; plus at least one elimination round. NOTE:  In addition to his
or her preliminary judging assignments, each judge is expected to stay one
round past that in which their team is eliminated. Hence, each judge is
expected to be available at least through quarter-finals.  HIRED JUDGES ARE
NOT AVAILABLE. WE WILL, HOWEVER, REFER PEOPLE WHO WISH TO JUDGE AT THE HENRY
CLAY TO THOSE COACHES WHO ARE HOPING TO HIRE JUDGES.

REGISTRATION FEE:  The registration for the Henry Clay Debates is
one-hundred and fifty dollars ($150) per team. A twenty dollar ($20)
surcharge will be assessed to each novice team who wishes to be considered
for the special elimination bracket in the competition for the title
"PRE-SEASON NOVICE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS".  The surcharge is to defray the cost
of additional trophies.  Fees include coaches parties each night plus one
luncheon and continental breakfast.  If you pay by check, please make the
check payable to ?UK Student Forum?.

TRANSPORTATION:  Unfortunately, UK can no longer provide transportation to
and from the airport or campus.

FRIDAY REGISTRATION:  All registration will take place Friday evening,
October 5, 2007, in the Lafayette Suite of the Radisson Hotel between 6:30
and 11 p.m.  No registration will occur on Saturday.

HOUSING: The Radisson Plaza is the Tournament Hotel: (859) 299-1261. Cost:
$95 per night for one to four people. Arrangements should be made
immediately.  Most motel managers say they will be completely filled by
mid-September.  We are competing with Thoroughbred racing at Keeneland Race
Course as well as UK football.  PLEASE make your reservations immediately.

SINCE ALL SOCIAL EVENTS AND ELIMINATION ROUNDS WILL BE HELD AT THE RADISSON
HOTEL, WE URGE YOU TO STAY THERE IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

SUGGESTED OVER-FLOW HOTELS

HYATT REGENCY LEXINGTON (overflow hotel)
401 West High Street
Lexington, Kentucky
Phone:  859-253-1234

SPRING HILL SUITES
863 South Broadway
Lexington, Kentucky 40504
Phone:  859-225-1500

HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS LEXINGTON-DOWNTOWN/UNIVERSITY
1000 EXPORT STREET
LEXINGTON, KY 40504
859-389-6800

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TOTAL TAX ON LEXINGTON LODGING IS 11.3 PERCENT.

QUESTIONS OR LAST MINUTE CHANGES:  If any questions arise, or of any last
minute changes occur, please do not hesitate to contact me.  My telephone
numbers are:

University Office: (859) 257-1665
Debate Office: (859) 257-6523
Home: (859) 272-4268
Fax: (859) 323-1995
Cell: (859) 552-7297
E-Mail: jwpatt00 at uky.edu

If you need to reach me after 4:00 pm, October 2nd, until the end of the
tournament, you can contact me at the Radisson Hotel at (859) 231-9000.  Ask
for the Lafayette Suite.

I am looking forward to seeing you and your teams at the University of
Kentucky's 2007 Henry Clay Debates.

Sincerely,

J.W. Patterson
Director of Debate