[eDebate] A LOVE SONG TO "EDE" FROM THE TOPIC CHICKEN

James Maritato james.maritato
Sun Jul 22 22:18:05 CDT 2007

Oh Dr. Warner can't you see
wanna have you in my corner so won't you be
you say you don't know me personally
so i'll let you inside so you can see

you wrote my name inside of quotes
and the internet simply can't emote
the distance built by punctuation marks
it seems they have more bite than bark

dr. warner i hope you know
i looked up to you as i began to grow
i sat on a panel at NCA
with your debaters that made my day

I tried to help and give you gear
so your kids could make music for all to hear
you said you'd e-mail but something musta went wrong
and now I'm writing you this song

this is my love song to ede
so i hope you all are ready
to hear about our intersections
and how we have failed to make connections

i picked up your team for three years straight
tried to teach traditional kids not to hate
the new perspectives, the questioned assumptions
and why i won't vote neg on presumption

your debaters moved me to tears
i've been hearing from glueboy about it for years
there was a big mistake made by idaho state
they said my unique ballot could change debate

i knew after all i'd seen you do
and all the times i voted for you
the simple fact is that ain't true
cuz i keep votin' and debate's still screwed

this is my love song to ede
so i hope you all are ready
to hear about our intersections
how we have failed to make connections

i got my degree and moved back home
started to build my old team on my own
went to judge a round of the 'ville
and to au bon pain to find someone with less skill

i watched your team lose to some jmu hacks
who supported killing because of some "facts"
when i tried to give your squad some advice
they said i'd ruin the project, but thanks that's nice

I will admit that I have not seen you in a long time
And I wish you had gotten to know I think your sublime
And that this story wasn't so long
Because this gettin' to be a long damn song
And I'm running out of things to rhyyyyyyyyyyme!

this is my love song to ede
so i hope you all are ready
to hear about our intersections
how we have failed to make connections

Now it's oh-seven yet another year
and i'm looking to debate to make things clear
As a senior I was a novice debater
So it should be clear I'm not a novice hater

You're looking for purpose and so am I
But the purpose I had has seemed to die
I came here cuz"it's open to everyone"
And because it challenged me yet its fun

But discussions of pedagogy and topics
Get linked to derision and politrix
i watched tuna claim for some secessions
as i sunk deeper into depression

I can't claim to have done what you have
But you said you were leaving and it made me sad
I realized then what I realize now
I never made a difference and I don't know how.

so now I look at debate and I see a job
a paycheck, stress, and how to live like a slob
My team and my program are all that I got
The community rhetoric is all but shot

this is my love song to ede
so i hope you all are ready
to hear about our intersections
how we have failed to make connections
though we were thinking in the same directions

I like Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock too
I watch Stewart and Colbert like the nightly news
I wrote grad school papers about all of those dudes
because they educate through culture and entertain too

I know that verse had some really weak rhymes
but admittedly this song is taking me time
And I have a lecture to write on culture jamming
so this rhyme isn't really all that slamming

i think ceda and the ndt
should open up their hearts and let us be free
but I think people have forgot when it's plain to see
that most of us in ceda are in the ndt

i think topics are really great
and some better ones would really help out debate
but starting political movements to question the process
seems reactionary, factionary - full of losses

this is my love song to ede
so i hope you all are ready
to hear about our intersections
how we have failed to make connections
though we were thinking in the same directions

I still dream of a community
maybe that's my flaw and will continue to be
But the only way I can function in this activity
Is to make fun everything that I see...