[eDebate] Cal Season Opener Invitation

gregachten at berkeley.edu gregachten
Fri Jul 27 15:42:58 CDT 2007

Greetings,

Below is the invitation to the Cal Season Opener. Please note that our
hotel block expires on August 18 so if you are planning on attending you
should make your hotel reservations as soon as possible.

Greg

Dear Colleagues,

The University of California, Berkeley is pleased to announce the Cal
Season Opener and the Cal-CSU Long Beach Individual Events Swing September
22-24, 2007 to be held on the UC Berkeley campus. This will be full
service tournament offering two preliminary rounds in all 11 AFA
individual events (both novice and open when possible) at each half of the
swing, two divi-sions of NPDA Parliamentary Debate, and three divisions of
policy debate. We will have six de-bate prelims and the appropriate number
of out-rounds. Competitors wishing to compete in both parliamentary debate
and IE?s will be able to compete in the first half of the IE swing and in
par-liamentary debate in the second half.
The IE Swing and Parliamentary debate tournament will occur on Sept 22-23,
while the elimina-tion rounds for policy debate will not conclude until
September 24th  and will be held at the Berkeley Courtyard Marriott, the
tournament hotel. Breakfast will be provided on campus on both Saturday
and Sunday.

I am very pleased that we are able to host this event this year. The
invitation below should an-swer most of your questions, but if you are in
need of additional information please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Greg Achten
Tournament Director/Co-Director of Debate
818-357-8424

Tournament Information:

Tournament Hotel: We are using the Richmond/Berkeley Courtyard Marriott.
NOTE, this is not the same hotel we use for our Spring College and High
School tournaments. The hotel is located at 3150 Garrity Way, Richmond, CA
and is right across the street from a large mall, a movie theater and
several restaurants are within easy walking distance. The rate for the
event is $94 per night, which is great for the area and particularly
during a home Cal Football game. MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW. The rate will only
be honored until August 18. To make reserva-tions call 1-800-321-2211 and
ask for reservations under the block name ?Speech/Debate Tour-nament? or
use group code sdtsdta on the Marriott website. . The direct number for
the hotel is 1-510-262-0700. The website for the hotel, including
directions is: http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/OAKCY

You can also make reservations for 1-3 rooms by using this link:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/oakcy-courtyard-richmond-berkeley/?groupCode=sdtsdta

Parking: Parking on or near the Cal campus frankly sucks. It is hard to
find and
very expensive and will be even worse this weekend as there is a home
football game on Satur-day. We are unable to secure parking for tournament
attendees due to the game Plan on paying approximately $20 per day, per
vehicle to park in a pay lot near campus on Saturday. On Sunday, street
parking is free and readily available in Berkeley.

Campus Policies: The Berkeley Campus is a smoke-free campus. There is no
smoking in
ANY building on campus. PLEASE abide by this policy so that we may
continue to use these facilities in subsequent years. The Berkeley campus
is also a drug and alcohol free campus.

Entry Information: Online entry is required at www.debateresults.com

Tab Room: The tab room will be run by myself (Greg Achten), Jon Bruschke,
Marlin Bates, Becky Opsata, Kristina Whalen and Mark Dorrough.

Policy/Parliamentary Information:

Hybrids/Mavericks: Hybrid teams and maverick debaters will be allowed on a
case by
case basis.

Brackets: Will NOT be broken in policy debate but WILL be broken in
parliamentary debate.

Fees: Fees will be $70 per team.

Judging: Each school is expected to provide one judge per two teams they
bring. Each
judge will be obligated for through the quarterfinals or one round beyond
the elimination of their team. We have some hired judges that we can
provide, but not many. Hired judges will be given on a first come, first
served basis at a fee of $100 per uncovered team. We are not trying to
make money on hired judges. We would much rather have your judges than
your money. If you have extra judges available from your school please let
me know as we would probably like to hire them. We will use
preference/strike sheets for prelims and elims in the varsity division of
policy debate. All judges are expected to render a decision in a timely
fashion and designate one, and only one, team as the winner of the debate.
Points may be awarded in full and half point incre-ments only.

For parliamentary debate the tournament will abide by NCFA rules/guidelines.

Questions: If you need to get in touch with me, please call or email
Home: 510-260-0129
Mobile: 818-357-8424
Email: gregachten at berkeley.edu

POLICY SCHEDULE
September 22, 2007 - Saturday
8:00 AM Registration on campus in Dwinelle Hall ? Room 145: Pairings released
on campus: continental breakfast on campus
9:00 AM Round 1
12:00 PM Round 2
2:30 PM Lunch (on your own)
3:00 PM Round 3
6:00 PM Round 4

September 23, 2007 - Sunday
9:00 AM Round 5 pairings released on campus and at Marriott: continental
breakfast on campus
10:00 AM Round 5
12:30 PM Lunch (on your own)
1:30 PM Round 6
5:00 PM Awards Ceremony in Dwinelle 145
6:00 PM First elimination round

September 24, 2007 - Monday
8:00 AM Pairings for elimination rounds released at Marriott
9:00 AM Subsequent elimination rounds begin and continue until the
tournament ends.

PARLI SCHEDULE
***Note ?Parli competitors may only do the first half of the IE swing***

September 22, 2007 ? Saturday
4:30 	Parli only registration (Dwinelle Hall ? Room 145)
5:30 	Parli Rd 1
7:00 	Parli Rd 2

September 23, 2007 - Sunday
8:00  	Parli Rd 3
9:30  	Parli Rd 4
11:00 	Parli Rd 5
12:30 	Lunch
1:30   	Parli Rd 6
3:30   	Parli Elim 1
5:00	Parli Awards
ASAP	Parli Elims Continue

IE INFORMATION
Events and Rules:
? Open and Novice IE?s will be offered in accordance with AFA-NIET rules.
? Students in their first year of collegiate competition are eligible for
novice division in IE?s.  Students with substantial high school experience
should be entered in open division.  We trust that directors will put
their students in the right division.
? We reserve the right to collapse open and novice divisions in small
events.  If we collapse divi-sions, we will recognize the top 3 novices
and possibly have breakout finals---depending on the judge pool.
? Students may enter triple enter in IE?s.  All double and triple-entered
competitors assume the responsibility for making it to their rounds on
time.  We cannot average scores for a missed round.
? No materials used in competition shall have been used by the student in
intercollegiate competition prior to September 1, 2007.
? Per AFA rules, CSU Long Beach and UC Berkeley students may compete in
the IE swing and will be eligible to advance to final rounds, but will not
be eligible for sweepstakes awards.

IE Swing Sweeps Points

1st Place 		12 points
2nd Place 		10 points
3rd  Place 		8 points
4th  Place   		6 points
5th Place		5 points
6th and below	4 points

IE Fees
IE slots   		$8
Uncovered slots	$13

Please cover your judging commitment as we will have a limited amount of
judges available!   IE judges may not cover debate commitments and
vice-versa.

If you have any questions about the IE swing, feel free to contact
Kristina Whalen at
kwhalen at ccsf.edu. Questions about the tournament site should obviously be
directed to Greg.

IE SCHEDULE

Tournament #1
September 22, 2007 ? Saturday
7:30   	Registration  (Dwinelle Hall ? Room 145)
7:45   	Extemp Draw
8:00   	A1 (Extemp, ADS, Prose, Poetry, Informative)
9:15	  	B2 (Duo, POI, Drama, CA, Impromptu, Persuasive)
10:30		Extemp Draw
10:45		A2
12:00		B2
1:15		Lunch on your own