[eDebate] ans Elliott

Beth Skinner beth.skinner
Fri Jul 13 16:48:50 CDT 2007

An important part of the dynamic between high school and college deserves
further attention.  If your college program wants to get successful high
school debaters then recruiting them from existing successful high school
programs is one way to do it.  In Towson's case, and I believe this is
likely true for a good number of other colleges, these already successful
debaters weren't interested in attending our school.  It's didn't have name
recognition, wasn't seen as a 'good school' (though like many colleges there
are excellent programs within the university) and so high school students
from the existing CFL programs around Baltimore (reasonably) decided to go
elsewhere.  For a period of time, our program tried to recruit good high
school and community college graduates from elsewhere as a way of building
the team.  That wasn't an ideal solution because these folks often had to
pay out of state tuition rates and just getting out to talk to them was
something we didn't have a lot of resources for.

We couldn't attract already local successful debaters and we couldn't import
talent so we focused on growing high school programs in the city where they
didn't exist.  Chris Baron and Ken Broda-Bahm wrote a proposal to start the
Baltimore Urban Debate League.  That was 10 years ago.  Now there are dozens
of high school and middle school debate programs in Baltimore; hundreds of
kids debate at tournaments, thousands participate in the league over the
course of a year.  Debate is one of the big success stories that the
Baltimore school system talks about in its public relations - they are
invested in its continuation and success.  All of this wasn't easy and I'm
not saying the pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps is the only way to meet
the challenges folks have been identifying in this thread.  We were
privileged to be located near a huge pool of incredibly smart, funny and
good people who were hungry for opportunities like debate.  Growing your own
team takes a ton of energy and resources whether its based on getting folks
in novice frosh from public speaking courses to try debate or getting more
experienced debaters into your program.  I'm not trying to undercut anyone's
choices about how to deal with these challenges.

Some BUDL grads go on to debate at Towson but that's not the only measure of
success from my perspective.  Some have competed for Georgia State, Whitman,
Pitt, Michigan State, Texas, Louisville, etc.  Some have gone to colleges
with debate programs but decided not to debate.  Lots more of them go to
local and regional colleges where they don't currently have debate programs
(hence the Baltimore College Debate project www.baltimorecollegedebate.org).
I think that a good measure of success is do you have a lot of people doing
good debate.  The topics we choose are an important part of recruiting and
retaining people but to paraphrase our friend Philogelos debate (at
tournaments) is not (the only form of) activism.  So, come out to the
Baltimore College Debate Coop August 6-10 or better yet, start your own.
Just don't think of the pool of good debaters out there as some zero-sum
commodity.

Beth Skinner
Towson Debate