[eDebate] ans Saindon

Jean-Paul Lacy lacyjp
Mon Jul 16 22:18:07 CDT 2007

         [I'm setting aside the whole "offsets" & "perm
topicality/anti-topicality" discussion for another time.]

What if the permutation HAS been "fully tested"* and is the best available
option?

If so, the judge has to evaluate rejecting the perm as an opportunity cost
of forgoing the plan, especially if the superior benefits of the
permutation can only be achieved by adopting the plan.

*As for "fully testing" a perm, it seems like only convention prevents
doing so: The negative does have a good deal of opportunity to test the
opportunity cost of the perm, and other than the structure of speeches,
(and other artificial constraints, like "dispositionality," in all its
forms) prevent debaters from doing so.

Plus, even if the permutation isn't the focus of the debate, there is the
potential that it just might be the best option (even after testing,) that
the judge can't completely ignore because there may be unexplored costs and
opportunities forgone. (After all, we know the negative can't possibly
bring up every cost of the plan during the course of a debate, but we often
vote aff when we know there are persuasive disadvantages that the negative
didn't run...Hidden costs, benefits and opportunities are by nature
unknowable. What is known after some debates is that the permutation is the
best option.)

And, even if a "captured" counterplan isn't fully tested, other conventions
lead to the conclusion that the "opportunity cost" of running a counterplan
that the negative ought to think through before the round is the risk that
the permutation might be the best logical option available to the judge at
the end of the round.

The only way to "straight turn" a counterplan is with a "true" permutation
that proves the counterplan is a reason to adopt the plan.

--JP Lacy
lacyjp at wfu.edu