[eDebate] Topics and new programs

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Tue Jul 17 09:37:58 CDT 2007

One reason nobody does anything is because the approach right now is largely
couched in altruism, that altrusism will only work to the point it stops
being in peoples interest. To shift that paradigm things approaches need to
be framed by need and personal interest. Nobody is going to create new
programs just because they can and it makes them feel good, though that is
still a calulation of personal interest. Perhaps the new program committee
could operate in a way which changes teh equation by making it in the
programatic interests of some programs to masssive program starting.

Two approaches
1) a constitutional amenedment along the lines that neil has proposed in the
past that requires loccal tournaments twic a year
2) A referral commisson program. If you are a program that takes the
leadership role to get a new program debating you should get a point bonus
that is say 20 per cent of the referred new programs total season points.

either of these ideas would provide an incentive beyond altruism and would
make it more likely that those schools that need ceda points for their
survival would praticipate in new program intiatives.