[eDebate] Topics and new programs

Mike Davis davismk13
Tue Jul 17 09:45:43 CDT 2007

There is already an award for the top emerging programs and the top existing
programs that sponsor new programs.

And the real reward is that you would have a base of teams to debate against
in your region. The reason why regional debate tournaments survive is
because there are teams in those regions to support them. I think new
programs as good for their own sake, but I would probably not invest as much
effort to start debate programs in my area if I did not also benefit from
them. My budget stretches a lot further if I can take my teams to 10
tournaments within a three hour drive. Now I get a lot more bang for my buck
if those tournaments are twice as large.

I know that is you are in Wyoming or Idaho it's not as much of an option,
but there are plenty of people who have teams in cities where there are lots
of schools that could have debate programs. Think of how nice it would be to
drive across town (or a few towns in my case) to have a tournament instead
of having to go half way across the country.

Yes, I think we should be altruistic, but I also know that is not what
motivates most of us. So build new programs near to you to make sure you
have regional debate tournaments to go to and to make your budget go
further. I will even do all the ground work - you don't have to go to school
to ask them to start teams (unless you want to) - I will bug them and once
they say yes all you have to do is mentor them.

Mike