[eDebate] to be more blunt

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Tue Jul 17 12:44:00 CDT 2007

The other way to do it would be to have a "normal" resolution along the lines of what Tuna is talking about and a super-duper resolution for national circuit tournaments.  Same idea, different form of isolation (and I would argue a better one).  This would have lots of unintended consequences, and I'm not sure off the top of my head how they would balance out (i.e., would it increase or decrease participation in open divisions at regional tournaments?  I could see it working either way), but it might be worth talking about.
--Neil Berch
West Virginia University
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Josh<mailto:jbhdb8 at gmail.com>
  To: Alfred Snider<mailto:alfred.snider at uvm.edu>
  Cc: Pacedebate at aol.com<mailto:Pacedebate at aol.com> ; edebate at ndtceda.com<mailto:edebate at ndtceda.com>
  Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 1:24 PM
  Subject: Re: [eDebate] to be more blunt

  Might I make a compromise suggestion?

  Back in the not so distant past we had a seperate version of the topic that was designed to be more Novice friendly.  I know the immediate reaction will be that this creates a "second class" novice division....However, programs that want novices to debate the novice less confusing option can go to tournaments that support a novice topic and those that dont can go to tournaments that support the normal national topic.

  I think one thing that has been enthusiastically demonstrated is that there are MANY different approaches to coaching debate and to coaching novice debate,,,In addition, there are many different reasons programs have left or are considering leaving.

  I will admit I have always been in the doghouse, in a sense, with coaches who support novice because I ten to not work with novices or develop a novice based squad.  I can understand why people feel that way.

  We could even have a seperate "novice" wording committee comprised of people who are very expert in what novices need etc.

  Just a suggestion for us all working together to create a more inclusive community despite our differences,

  I have, and have always had, the utmost respect for Tuna,

  Josh