[eDebate] to be more blunt

Joe Patrice joepatrice
Tue Jul 17 16:47:16 CDT 2007

Scarce resources are a key factor facing an activity such as ours.  But I
think Matt is right that we should not essentialize the experience of any
given debater and declare a student (comparatively) "educated" after a
couple of years.  I have coached teams frontloaded with high school
experienced students and teams where everyone began as a college novice and
several in between.  The travel schedule certainly changed depending on the
distribution of students, but there can be value in every model of team
experience distribution.

I'll also add that one of the factors that motivates novices (in high school
or college actually) through the first two years is the incentive that if
they work through those years there will be success in the latter years of
their career at a much higher level than they see right now.  Even if the
first two years are all that matters, which I don't concede, I think you'll
see some discouraged students if there's no hypothetical outlet for them
down the road.

Joe