[eDebate] To be blunt

Eric Wendell Marlow emarlow
Tue Jul 17 17:30:54 CDT 2007

numbers to back up all of the claims I make.  Others have provided some
of these numbers and the bottom line is that I don't really care.  I am
expressing how I feel about this community and activity.  If objective
proof is our standard then that just shows how bankrupt and culturally
marginalizing this activity is.

Josh casts me as denigrating the accomplishments of Regis and Wyoming.
This is a total mischaracterization.  Both of these schools would have
succeeded despite the lack of a cooperative.  You said it yourself
Josh, good coaches with motivated debaters will succeed despite all
obstacles.  Is this the standard that we want to aspire to though?

Interesting that Josh does not coach novice debate EVER, but is full of
advice for others about how to be more successful at it.  Walk a mile
in our shoes, then come back to me with proposals and I will give them
credence.  Having coached literally hundreds of novices, I can tell you
that only by changing the system in ways that makes the activity more
accessible to everyone will policy debate thrive.  BTW CEDA survived
and thrived for over a decade debating nothing but policy topics.

You can't seriously believe that the merger has been good for the
community.  There is not one shred of your "proof" that can possibly
support this conclusion.  I have talked to the man that gave you your
second chance in debate and he straight told me that he doesn't know
how we compete.  He says that we are at the same place he was in 1989
but there is no CEDA for us to switch over to and be competitive.

Josh, I have know you since we were both in high school and you have
always existed at the most privileged pinnacle of debate and academia.
>From your stint at the magnet school to your job today, there has never
been a time when you have had to deal with anything but the top level
of debate, so I understand your desire to maintain your position.  But
I tell you this, as a friend, if we don't find a way to make our
activity more accessible, your position of privilege won't exist much
longer.

I agree that what we do has tons of value.  That does not mean that it
can't be made to be more valuable to all of us.

Will's championships prove what I had already said.  We didn't need the
merger to prove how valuable CEDA was.  We were already there.  Unless
it is your contention that the merger magically made Mich. State
debaters better, they didn't need the NDT to prove their value.

Thanks for coming out of the wood work Ede.  I think the time is
rapidly approaching when we are all going to have to take a stand by
either mobilizing or moving on; I just hope we don't destroy what we
all love in the process.

Peace,
Marlow

Josh wrote:

>Hello Eric (another old friend joins the fray),
>
> EM: Jackie is right...the resolutions do kill novice participation.
Trying
>> to balance a topic competitively for the top 16 teams in the country on
>> the last day of the NDT is a useless model if it costs our community 50
>> novice teams a year.
>

>JBH: Got to ask for your source on that one?
>

>EM:  Compare these resolutions to something simple
>> like Resolved that advertising degrades the quality of life in the US.
>> I remember Jarman having cards that said almost those exact words in
>> his billboards aff.  I dare anyone to find anything remotely close to
>> the wording of any of these resolutions in the actual literature.
>

>JBH: We have solvency cards for the words in the current potential
topics.
>I also had them on advertising.  I am not sure why having cards that
>literally say the words in the topic in order is the yardstick for if a
>topic is good or not.
>

>> EM: Josh's proposals fail.  He remembers these things being tried in
the
>> past.  There is a reason they are only memories...because each and
>> every one of them failed; in some cases they didn't even last out the
>> year that they were created.  Creating more elitism in the community
>> isn't going to solve the fact that we are tacitly or openly supporting
>> a system of privilege.
>

>JBH: Really? I think they failed, at the time, because nobody was that
>committed to Novice in the areas where it failed.  Even if you are
right,
>why does that mean we couldnt construct a system in which it was
performed
>better.  Newsflash (and yes, I know this will make me the devil)
experienced
>debaters will beat NOVICE debaters on whatever topic you construct...Its
>just the way it goes.  Getting rid of policy topics doesnt get rid of
the
>advantages of experienced policy debaters..It just means you will get to
>compete only against other programs that agree with your stylistic
goals for
>debate...Maybe that is really what you are after here.  Example, a
mediocre
>policy debater named Josh (4-4 at the NDT before switching to CEDA)
entered
>the world of Non-Policy debate and won nationals (thanks in great part
>getting acclimatized by a GREAT non-policy debater named Chuck Mallard)
in
>his first year in non-policy land.  Are you really suggesting that the
best
>coaches would not still have an advantage in the "magical land of
non-policy
>topics" or are you saying "if we leave - they wont follow us?"
>
>Matt also makes a great point here, its not like you should punish
>experienced debaters for being experienced.  There is also a difference
>between recognizing that you are privleged and trying to counter-act
that
>(for instance, we provide thousands of dollars in scholarships to our
camp
>for people wthout resources etc) and saying that the whole game should
be
>changed in order to tilt the playing field entirely to the
inexperienced.
>How about we do our best to teach the inexperienced....and let the
>experienced be who they are?  I dont remember feeling ghettoized when I
was
>a novice in high school - I realized I wasnt as experienced as the
Varsity
>or Champ people.  When I could compete, I moved up.   There is an
academic
>value to what we teach....There is an academic value to what we
>teach....There is an academc value to what we teach.....If there is a
novice
>or an experienced debater - I want to teach them about rigorous
>argumentation, about quality and deep research, and to use every
resource I
>can muster to get them the best instruction possible so that when they
leave
>my institution I have helped them in every way I can.
>
>EM: Matt's proposal fails.  I have nothing but the highest amount of
>respect for the cooperative and the endless amount of time and energy
>Matt puts into it, but the cooperative has not produced one program
>that has been successful in the elitist structure that would not have
>been successful anyway.  I feel Matt on the issue of debate and life
>privilege being distinct, but nothing in our activity can contribute to
>that debate privilege.  How many first rounders in the last five years
>actually were only privileged by debate and not life?  Our system, even
>with cooperatives, still favors those who are privileged in life
>outside of debate.
>
>JBH: Got to disagree with your police work here - Matt's teams have been
>pretty awesome at Wyoming and Regis was pretty awesome a few years ago
(way
>to go Glue).  In addition, its not like the Mac teams have been bad.
Those
>were all cooperative teams.  I personally remember Glue cheering when
Regis