[eDebate] Hanson/Mahoney Proposal

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Wed Jul 18 20:48:37 CDT 2007

Stefan is correct (and ADA instituted a similar rule a few years ago, indicating that if CEDA debated a non-policy resolution, ADA would use the NDT resolution).  This would not preclude an elegant but broad policy topic.  Don't know about anyone else.  I like policy debate (not surprising for a political scientist).  There's a lot of room under the umbrella of policy debate.

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Stefan Bauschard<mailto:SBauschard at planetdebate.com>
  To: edebate at ndtceda.com<mailto:edebate at ndtceda.com>
  Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 9:44 PM
  Subject: [eDebate] Hanson/Mahoney Proposal

  I believe that when the NDT decided to debate the CEDA topic they passed a rule that said that they'd debate the CEDA topic IF CEDA chose a policy topic.  Otherwise, they would write their own policy topic.

  Is my recollection correct?  Is this rule still in existence?

  If I am right, allowing non-policy topics on the ballot through a more free-wheeled resolution writing process could allow the selection of a non-policy topic by CEDA (at least based on Jim's description of his proposal).

  If this happened, one of two things would then have to happen:

  a) The NDT would have to decide to not enforce this seemingly significant rule or
  b) The NDT would have to write another policy topic, creating a split (and a mess, since it would be done on the fly).

  My point is not to defend the policy-only topic rule or engage the discussion on a split/merger.  My point is that this matter needs to be given some consideration and perhaps some substantial consultation should occor between the respective bodies.