[eDebate] I want to be on the topic committtee

Gordon Stables stables
Thu Jul 19 00:10:18 CDT 2007

Andy and all,

With all due respect it is hard to answer someone's memory of an offhand
conversation between other people from several months ago. I really have a
hard time believing the EC goes around trying to get less help. I know I
just posted yesterday that there is an open seat this year and explained the
development of that seat. Conspiracy sells more tickets, but the
organization is always looking for more help and we will be electing an
at-large seat this year. It is also important to point out that the chair is
a single year appointment from the committee.

Having been at several NCA meetings where the nomination process almost
ceases to a grinding halt for lack of nominations for a number of offices I
can assure you we as the EC want MORE folks to run for MORE positions. We
have a nominating committee to make sure we have even enough candidates to
fill the positions - nothing more sinister. Without those folks there would
be even less people to blame for our problems.

If you or anyone else would like to be formally nominated let me know and I
will try to help make the process less intimidating.

I am enjoying the banter and although I need some time to go line by line
through Ede's questions (insert rich irony) I think our dialogue is all
served by folks who express their dissenting views without needing to find
more sinister motives.

Gordon

Gordon Stables, Ph.D.
Director of Debate and Forensics
Annenberg School for Communication
University of Southern California
Office: 213 740 2759               Fax: 213 740 3913
http://usctrojandebate.com

  _____