[eDebate] instigations of martin.....

Martin Harris mharris02
Thu Jul 19 12:37:33 CDT 2007

   Wasn't trying to stir interpersonal conflict. I also have no beef
with you. If I did, I would tell you. I occasionally think you are more
messianic than my taste calls for, but we all have our own picadillos. I
did really just ask questions. I realize sometimes questions are
interpreted as argument (have you stopped beating your wife kinds of
questions), but mine weren't meant to be those. I was trying to honestly
figure out what you were trying to imply and suggesting some of the
things that I think your phraseology suggested. I thought you were
selling Tim short, and I thought he was worth defending. If you
intentions weren't malicious, then my apologies. I debated sending a
message backchannel only, maybe I should have, hindsight is 20/20 I
guess.

Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: debate at ou.edu [mailto:debate at ou.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:03 AM
To: Martin Harris
Cc: edebate at ndtceda.com
Subject: instigations of martin.....

Plzzzzzz

I love Tim Mahoney, and to take my post and attempt to create invisible
"meanings" for the promotion of interpersonal conflict
between tim and I is rather childish and silly.  Is this the best input
you have, how about some of thay grey fuzzy memory you
have of debate?  I think your attempt to fuel the flames between tim and
I and demonize me is rather disrespectful and kinda
pisses me off.  To me it says you got some beef with me, if so, let it
out.

You can read all of my posts, and not once did I ever ever say
1. St. Marks kids were not good debaters or will not be good debaters
2. Tim Mahoney couldnt succeed absent the status quo
3. Tim will ever have problems sleeping at night
4. Tim Mahoney doesnt love debate

Your post is an example of why we have to approach this issue with some
respect.  We all obviously love debate, look what we
do.  Tim is one of the best organizers in debate.  A change that loses
TIm or any other supporter of debate is self-defeating.
The topic committee is pursuing debate they way the like it and Tim is
attempting to defend debate the way he prefers.  I think
there has been enough death of programs in the status quo.  Now a
majority of the "voters" will have to agree for change to
occur.  I wont rehash the issues, your obviously more interested in
creating more divisions between people.

massey