[eDebate] a league of democracy>

debate at ou.edu debate
Wed Jun 13 06:08:18 CDT 2007

You are going all rousseau and i think the dark people without christianity will make it just fine....

I dont see debate as a democracy, maybe a failed one if you would like that categorization.  No tacit consent here.  The power
of steam divided the herds into the northern herd and the southern herd.  You seek civilization, while I am afraid of such
perfection.

Debate is where we get the tools for democracy, but the chicken doesnt come before the egg.  Some debates need to happen
over and over again if we want to mend a dysfunctional system...

You might think debate is a functional democracy, i disagree.

Peace

Massey

"Why get stuck defending someone elses bad idea on the aff? Even if
Ryan or Gordon thought this was good aff ground, that doesn't mean
that debaters will feel the same when faced with issues relating to
the Middle East."

Why? Because that's how democracy works. If everyone gets to pick
the laws and rules they will choose to adhere to and those they won't,
nothing functions. Not to go all Rousseau, but if you don't have
structures in place for resolving differences of opinion on basic
questions, all your left with is constant battles over that and you
never get around to learning how to harness the power of steam or how
to make Cap'n Crunch.

Communities can't exist without a shared willingness to accept that
collective decisions will not always maximize personal utility in
specific cases.

Charles