[eDebate] answers for dave -- mine(Jackie's) anyway

Thu Jun 14 12:46:02 CDT 2007

Jackie your complaints--which I agree with almost 100%--are complaints that
should go on prior to students enterin g the debate round--during the topic
selection process.

I think we need to either change the people who write the topics, change the
topic writing process, or start a new debate organization. However, I do not
think it is proper for teams to show up at a tournament in which the resolution
has been accepted for dispute, and unilaterally decide to debate something
totally different.

Whether you like it or not, your teams' intellectual freedom and activism is
advanced over my teams' desire to debate an important topic area and their
ethical agreement to debate that topic. Somebody has to lose. Why punish the
negative because the affirmative has made a unilatteral choice to ignore the
social contract underpinning academic debates?