[eDebate] Dallas UDL -- ED Search

Les Lynn leslynn
Sat Jun 16 13:54:39 CDT 2007

Dear University Debate Community:

The Dallas Independent School District (DISD), in partnership with the Dallas Urban Debate League Advisory Board, will be launching an Urban Debate League this fall in twelve DISD high schools.  The Dallas UDL Advisory Board is chaired by Craig Budner, a former St. Mark?s and Dartmouth debater and now a senior partner at Hughes & Luce LLP.  With the NAUDL?s assistance, the Advisory Board has so far raised $57,500 from the Texas Bar and the Dallas Bar Foundations.  The Advisory Board has also raised about $75,000 so far from individuals in Dallas.  The DISD has signed a Memorandum of Understanding in which it commits to funding $137,000 of the school-site and Tournament costs, among other means of institutionalizing the UDL.

At the NAUDL we?re all very pleased about the local and apparently sustainable support this new UDL site has obtained, and we credit the commitment and effort of Craig Budner and the nine other members of the Dallas UDL Advisory Board, including Development Committee Chair William Brewer.  We also credit the bold and reform-minded administration of the Dallas Independent School District, including Deputy Superintendent Steven Flores.  And of course we invite all members of the UDL community to welcome our new colleagues in Dallas, Texas.

We also have some important unfinished business there for this upcoming school year.  The Dallas UDL Advisory Board is undertaking a process to hire an Executive Director.  Funding is, as I?ve indicted, in place.  They need the right person to lead the programmatic implementation this fall.  Please see the attached Job Description for details on the position and on the application process and pass it along to any viable prospects.  You might also contact me or Craig to discuss your ideas, if you have any you?d like to share.

Thanks.

Les

Les Lynn
Executive Director
National Association for Urban Debate Leagues
332 S. Michigan Ave., Suite 500
Chicago, Illinois 60604
(o) 312-427-8101
(f) 312-427-6130