[eDebate] Coaching/Mentoring question - how much work is too much?

Sue Peterson bk2nocal
Sun Jun 24 15:12:47 CDT 2007

Hi all...

For those that missed the announcement earlier, I have implemented a
blog designed at least partially to be a tool in CEDA's mentoring
project, located at http://www.bk2nocal.wordpress.com.  I have made a
few posts and one of them was on improving practice quality
(http://bk2nocal.wordpress.com/2007/06/18/practice-is-not-enough/).  A
comment on that entry included the following questions, which I think
are important, yet very difficult for coaches to handle.  I would love
to get some feedback from you all - either on the list or via
backchannel and I plan to write another entry including some of those
kind of motivation you find to be most effective, what type of work
responsibilities you find to be most educational, etc.  Thanks in
advance for the input you all provide!  Here are the questions:

*What should a coach do who has debaters who are less motivated to do
research and write their own positions? I inevitably do a lot of the
research for our team, and I fear that my love of competition is
interfering with the education. Do you have rules for research and/or
position writing for the members of your team? If so, what are the
consequences? Thanks.*

I know this has been discussed on the list in the past and I will go
back to cull some of those responses from the archives, but thought some
new people might get involved and the specificity of the questions might
change your responses.

Thanks,

Sue Peterson
Chico State Debate