[eDebate] Um...Topicality still sucks

Bob db8coach
Sun Jun 3 12:22:54 CDT 2007

Beth Skinner wrote:

Last night I was at a wedding rehearsal dinner where I got to argue very similar issues with a 5 year old and a 7 year old but without the clusterfuckery of argumentation intellectualism.  We were trying to decide whether we should launch a pirate raid on the bride and groom's table and steal the cake.  One of them said we shouldn't because it wasn't what you were supposed to do at a formal grown up party (it went the bounds of proscribed manners/topicality/rules) and that we'd get in trouble with the grown ups (penalty).  The other one said 'nah, we should do it because it would be fun and because we're pirates'.  The cake was especially delicious because it was stolen.  I guess when you're dealing with grown ups you just have to decide which side you're gonna come down on.

Thank God there are people who DO grow up and become responsible adults. There is a very good reason why children are allowed to be children but adults have the responsibility to maintain order.

The problem with a 5 and 7 year old making all the decisions is that there would never have been a cake to steal in the first place. It takes responsible adults with real rules of order to maintain the world that allows children to play in their fantasy world. You can steal all the cakes you want, but eventually the adults will stop buying them and you will be cakeless.

Not argumentation itellectualism, just real world common sense.

Bob Lechtreck