[eDebate] Um...Topicality still sucks

Beth Skinner beth.skinner
Sat Jun 2 14:13:52 CDT 2007

My point is that its a choice.  If you think that God wants you to be an
enforcer or just that being an enforcer is your cup of tea then choose that
but acknowledge that you could choose otherwise and the world will not
collapse.  My 6 and 8 year-old nephews make cakes for each other and the
people they care about not out of some overblown sense of self-importance or
because they fear the chaos of a world filled with voluntary association but
because it makes them happy.  Many young people I know take the initiative
to organize debates on issues (like drug legalization or prisons) that are
important to them and the people they care about.  The best people (young
and old) I know look at what the 'rules' are and decide for themselves
whether those rules are worthwhile.  In this, they exercise a lot more
common sense than I often see in the blind adherence to norms that govern
what commonly passes for knowledge in judging philosophies, edebate posts
and post-round critiques.

Grow up or don't.  Or at least choose how you grow up - there's not only one
right way to do it.  Telling a freshman he doesn't belong in debate because
he doesn't see it the same way you do is not what I would choose.

Beth