[eDebate] an actual contribution to the t debates....

Brent Saindon basaindon
Tue Jun 12 14:36:43 CDT 2007

"i will be happy to keep coaching how i coach and you can just as likely see sneetches as a topical plan."

Andy, your reductio ad absurdum is a little behind the times. The Dr. Seuss can of worms is already several years old.

BTW, the star-bellied sneetches (sp? -- it's been a long time) can do a lot of cool stuff and would make a wonderful (and in my opinion, MORE realistic) counterplan mechanism for the topic. They may also be capable of constructive engagement...

Andy, it sounds like you are trying to bargain against your friends without their consent. The line has become "if I can get what I want, I will join you all against all this other debate experimentation that I don't much care for". In my opinion, there is no need to cut deals amongst this group. Experimentation and "explosion" (I thought many of you have an explosion fetish anyway?) will occur so long as debaters find it to be edifying and it has some degree of competitive success. The bottom line always comes back to persuasion. When people can no longer be convinced IN debates to vote in a particular direction, debaters will make different choices. Another bottom line: other experiments will take place, with our without the consent of the people on this list. Andy, you can't cut the deal to keep the sneeches out of debate; all you can do is just sell your vote on the issue.

Just as in politics: when "family values" no longer acts as a suasory appeal for large segments of the population, we will see a different political appeal. For a long time, the left lamented that this term was "irrational", a meaningless term, or a distraction from real problems. Finally, they seemed to have learned that last few years that jobs and health care might also be considered "family values". Now the debate happens on different terms (but for how long -- I suspect we will see even more linguistic experiments with this term in the next 2 years).

You can keep ahead of the curve, defend your place, or hide your head, but you can't cut the deal to make it all go away. CEDA tried it, so did the ADA, but changes will happen, and perhaps debate will outgrow people, leave them behind, or bitter. From anecdotal reports in LD and Parli, they can't get rid of our influence either. Jim Hanson can call for separate tournaments, but someone is going to show up and rain on his parade. Why lament or deal in this forum; it will be of little use in the competitive context. The topic committee has tried to reign people in through democratizing the topic process, but it does little good to limit people in debates.

As a fitting homage to the recently deceased Richard Rorty, I would like to end with a suggestion that he may have made. My undergraduate adviser took a class from him at the University of Virginia, and he relayed to a group of students that Richard Rorty once characterized truth as "whatever your colleagues will let you get away with." When the debaters I interact with ask me about my opinion of the topic, its meaning, and T debates, I try to give the same type of reply. Sometimes, you don't have to do a lot of convincing (because you prey on their predispositions and prejudices). Other times, you have to put up a good front to convince them that the question of definition is not worth their time, or is a losing battle with the judge. But when it comes right down to it, "the topic is whatever your opponents and judges will let you get way with." It's true of "policy" debates as much as any other kind. The judge and the other team let you get away with resuming the literal
 stability of the words. If the last 150 years + of communication research has taught us anything, words and phrases are anything but purely literal or stable. But again, as long as you can get away with it...

Brent Saindon